Butsch Blog & DQ

Many parts of this article contained statistics that I had either heard before or what I had figured to be the case. There were however, some things that were new that I found to be intriguing. At first I figured it was just easy to showcase a working class man of the house to be the comic and buffoon. Possibly just for comic relief, but it was interesting that it was something able to be recreated. If the producers and big companies knew that a previous show was successful, they could duplicate the same sort of character and they could have a hit. Even if the majority of shows were/are not representative of the actual American population, finding something that works and duplicating it makes the money.
The other part that goes into that is the fact that these companies want the shows to be marketable and be able to use advertising. That is the explanation Butsch gives for why the working class is so underrepresented and the more affluent characters are heavily used. They want those certain ad campaigns and products to sell, so if they can find a show that aligns with those values they will use it. It makes sense because it is easier to picture a richer character purchasing and driving a nice vehicle rather than Homer Simpson. The connection is easier to make and therefore the possibility of a sale is more likely to happen. Even with the decline of network television ratings, they still made use of this "buffoon" stereotype. It makes me wonder if this stereotype on television will ever fade away, or if it will always remain somehow? I would be interested to see what the popular television series right now looked like when their pilots were first pitched. I wonder if the use of class and occupation were a big determining factor, or if these shows were more of the innovative programs the network tried to use to boost ratings? Why do these shows with the working class still work in our society? The characters can come off very stereotypically, but is it because they are so relatable to the majority of our culture?