discussion questions on Berube found in comments

husai024 | September 9, 2012 5:50 PM | Reply
Discussion Question:
In the essay by Allan Berbue, there was a section when he mentioned feeling hesitation and some fear in regards of posing the question of whiteness among the all white group of gay men in the HIV-negative group. Don't you guys think that this feeling he had in particular should've been the motivator for fighting the whiteness that has been created in gay men society against the people of color, since that the first thing that gay men from all colors fight is racism? Why didn't he engage more colored people in the HIV group since he is bothered by the fact that they are being discriminated?

pelli018 | September 9, 2012 9:02 PM | Reply
In the Berube article, there is a section about the time when the military did not allow homosexuals to enlist. An out and proud African American man tells the story of how he told the doctor he was gay during the physical examination, and how he was let in to the military anyway. He also says that any white man who admitted to being gay was not allowed in, but he was allowed in because they "needed" him to fight in Veitnam. The military assumed he would just get killed and the issues would never come up. But he did not get killed. Since there are likely many gay men of any race that had survived wars and perhaps even done heroic deeds, wouldn't this prove to the military that homosexuals (no matter what race) are as capable of fighting wars as heterosexual white men?

bloo0206 | September 9, 2012 9:06 PM | Reply
Discussion Question:
In the essay by Berube, the author claims that the mainstream and gay media creates the stereotype that gay men are white and affluent. Do you agree? If so, do you think this has changed in the past ten years (since the article was published in 2001)? What are some media examples of diversity in the gay community?

weis0673 | September 9, 2012 9:51 PM | Reply
In this essay by Berube, I found the sections where he talked about his experiences with the all-white panel and HIV-negative group to be the most interesting. I thought it was intriguing that in a group that are supposedly all similar, he could not get up the courage to talk about the issue of race. For me, I know that if I am in a group of my peers, or people I guess who I find similar to me, I find it easier to talk about issues. Why was is so difficult to bring up the issue of race in a group of people that are all similar to each other? Shouldn't that make it easier since they all are facing the same issue? I know he said he did not want to lose their acceptance or friendship, but why should it be that way? Shouldn't that be the place he feels most comfortable in bringing up issues like this? I can not fully relate to his situation, but I find it interesting and would like to know what is really behind that fear. What makes talking to peers about an issue so relatable to all of them, so difficult?