Encoding/decoding blog

Like mentioned in class, this article was not very long, but it was jam-packed with a lot of information. From what I got out of it, I thought it was interesting, but I still do not think I fully understand what Hall was saying. I know he brought attention to the critique of the traditional linear model and how it can be produced and sustained by linked, but distinctive moments. He also brought up another approach where it works as a continuous circuit. That was something that I had never really thought about before. I've learned the sender/message/receiver model, but never thought about the alternatives to that model. It brought up ways in which people comprehend messages and if no one interprets it or finds meaning, the message in essence is lost because no consumption happens.
As I asked in my discussion question, I was very interested in the way he talked about television and its aural and visual combination. I am still a little confused by the whole thing, but basically certain messages or codes become widely used and therefore lead to them being naturalized. Is that kind of like when we think of a word like genius we can automatically come up with an image like House or any of the guys from The Big Bang Theory? The linguistic word is something that we associate as being "natural" or common, so my understanding of what he said is that images will come along with a word. I understand that the coding is still there, but is not necessarily seen to be apparent. Once I am able to fully understand Hall's argument, I hope this will make more sense to me.