Is Google Making Us Stupid?

By Ashley Stopperan

I specifically found myself relating to Carr recognition that today we read more than we did 30 years ago, but it is a different kind of reading. I definitely find myself constantly reading e-mails, text messages, twitter updates and online news which is more often than when I used to read 10 years ago. However, I can relate to Carr when finding that I have become a faster learner, and a more impatient reader. As a college student, I wish my mind didn't think like this; wanting to skim and get to the point quick in any text I use for research or homework. For example, even reading Carr's post was difficult for me to focus because it wasn't short enough for my liking. He also mentions how the rest of media is changing because of the way people are adjusting to the internet, which is something I have noticed as an advertising major. "...magazines and newspapers shorten their articles, introduce capsule summaries, and crowd their pages with easy-to-browse info-snippets."

The other point Carr makes that I relate to is how our generation's personalities are changing because of the use of technology. I have a more difficult time talking on the phone with others because typing up an email is easier and less confrontational. This is definitely evidence of what Carr explains because if there was no internet, my friends and I would not be so accustomed to nonverbal communication. He references 2001, where "people have become so machinelike that the most human character turns out to be a machine." The very thought of this scares me because I feel that we are all on our way to becoming like machines and way overdependent on technology. This article inspires me to teach my further children about the importance of using non-technological items whenever possible, because atleast my childhood has helped me shape who I am. (Playing outside vs inside with an Xbox or Ipad like kids do today).