Kelci Bryant discussion question on Berube

As I was reading How Gay Stays White and What Kind of White It Stays, I found myself trying to relate to Allen in some way. I understand the failures, one after another, after another... and wanting to give up, and also wanting to keep going. I understand what it is like to have a passion for something that you will dedicate your life to. However, my passion was a sport, it was personal, it only had to do with me. After finishing the reading I had so many questions running through my mind, but the one that stuck out was, "What is it that you want to change, that you would go to those kinds of measures to do so?" I decided to take a break to watch the Vikings game and keep thinking.
The game went into overtime, and I realized I still could not think of a single thing that I would go to such great lengths to change. Maybe, it is because I am a white woman, heterosexual, raised in a small town, and there was always food on my plate. I have also never been a victim of discrimination. I guess my discussion question is not very tied in with the reading, but I think it will help me get to know you guys, my classmates, a little better. So, is there anything that anyone else feels strongly enough about to do what Allen did? Does making that kind of commitment fully depend on whether or not someone has been a victim (directly or indirectly) of discrimination?