10/29 Blog Entry: Susan Douglas "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist"

First of all, I really enjoyed how Susan Douglas' "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist" article started out with the Spice Girls moment. It immediately grabbed my attention, and made me think how powerful the term "girl power" really was around the 90's era. As the articles transitions into the fantasies of power subsection, it took me by surprise that only 13 years ago, attorneys, CEO or surgeons weren't in the top five professions for women. Today, I can think of several female CEO's off the top of my head: Marissa Mayer of Yahoo!, Denise Morrison of Campbell Soup, and Meg Whitman of HP.

Susan Douglas brings up an interesting point with stating, "What the media has been giving us, then, are little more than fantasies of power. They assure girls and women, repeatedly, that women's liberation is a fait accompli and that we are stronger, more successful, more sexually in control, more fearless and more held in awe than we actually are." For those of you who don't know what fait accompli is, it means 'an accomplished fact.' I agree with this statement to a certain extent. I agree that while holding positions such as CEO or president, women are deemed as extremely successful. However, what about everything we see in the media? As Douglas says it herself, the sexual power is much more gratifying than political or economic power.

With that being said, Douglas brings up the next point that proves such gratification. She brings up the concept of 'enlightened sexism' which "sells the line that it is precisely through women's calculated deployment of their faces, bodies, attire, and sexuality that they gain and enjoy true power - power that is fun, that men will not resent, and indeed will embrace." Enlightened sexism is something that we see almost every single day in the media. It speaks of the exploitation of female sexuality. Today, the media proves this concept to be true by shows such as The Bachelor, America's Next Top Model, the Hills, and Gossip Girl. Each of these shows offers irony. I completely agree with Douglas' argument on this and am guilty of viewing previously stated shows and sometimes mocking them, or just loving them as a guilty pleasure. As a young woman, I am aware of how these shows differ from my ongoing status, but it is still very easy to get sucked into watching them.

Overall, I agreed with Douglas' statements in "Girls Gone Anti-Feminist." I never really thought about how enlightened sexism yields to irony within the media and shows that I watch myself. Therefore, it was very interesting to make a correlation between the two, and become aware of how we easily get sucked into the "media' funhouse."