Buffy DQ and Blog

I really liked this article! I think I personally align with Levine's stance on feminism, or rather, the third wave, as seen in the Buffy show. I realized over the past few days of class that I am much more pro-female than I previously realized. However, I was also pretty confused because I have grown up very girly (dance, theater, singing) and I genuinely like products or activities that are deemed only feminine (make-up, dresses, shoes, TV shows, etc.) Thus, I felt contradiction in whether I can stand up for women's rights in politics, but go home and paint my nails. I think Levine's article really helped me realize that this contradiction is not only okay, but expected and already discovered in the "third wave" of feminism.

Levine describes this third wave as seen in Buffy in the fact that Buffy is very powerful and dangerous, but gets excited about wearing a new dress to prom. One of the ideas that stuck out most to me from this article was on page 170 when Levine writes, "...Buffy downplays the New Woman's gender as the central facet of her identity in favor of a more multiply-positioned identity that sees gender as fundamentally intertwined with other axes of social experience." When I read this, I immediately knew that that was how I felt about feminism and femininity in general.

It is impossible to ignore gender (unless you only see the world through a transgender gaze as in that movie we learned about in a previous article). But gender is not what defines us, it is just one element that helps shape her worldview.

I don't think that all of femininity is a product of the mass media because there are many common traits of females across the globe who come from different cultures and media realms. And I think that Buffy is just being the girl she is in how she looks and thinks about boys, but not letting the "female passivity" myth control her so she can slay vampires and stuff.

Q: Do you think that femininity is created from the media?
Q: How do you think femininity is acquired/learned/rejected?
Q: Do you think characters like Buffy (pretty and powerful) pose a threat to feminist empowerment, or are we beyond that era so much that we've now realized femininity is acceptable within a feminist worldview?

Also, I was a bit confused about the difference between post-feminism and the third wave. Could we maybe clear that up a bit in class?