Class Dismissed? Blog Post and DQ

This article was very interesting and brought up a lot of points that I have never even bothered to think about. According to Bettie, Roseanne had a lot of appeal to those who had the most in common with the show. They liked it because it was real and didn't pretend everything about life was perfect. This summer I worked in a factory where we sewed harnesses and I worked with a lot of women who reminded me of Roseanne. Working ten hours a day I couldn't escape their complaints about money, their husbands (or lack of) and children. Shockingly, many of the women loved going to work if it meant a little time away from their family. Like the article said, the factory I worked in consisted mainly of women and minorities. The higher-ups were mainly white males. It's surprising that sitcoms today still portray the white working-class male when a lot of working-class consists of women and minorities.

Unlike the article though, I noticed many of the women I worked with dressed nicely and had the culture of middle-class even though from what I heard from them they constantly had money problems. The first time I came to work I wore crappy pants and t-shirt because I was told the work would be dirty. And it was. But never-the-less, I saw the other women wore nice blouses and pants and earrings and necklaces. They knew the clothing would get dirty but they wore these clothes anyways. Bettie claims that those who are working-class have a working-class culture and don't try to be middle-class. I don't believe this is true. I think there are many families out there who, no matter how much they make, they'd like to believe (or make others believe) that they make more than they actually do. I think they display this by their clothing and purchases.

My discussion question is this: What do you think Roseanne meant when she said, "[working-class] is a culture"? Do you think many working-class people would agree with this statement? What is the working-class culture and are white males still portrayed as being a part of this culture on television today?