Face of America

This was another article that I found difficult to get through, but there were a couple things that stood out to me. The first was at the beginning of the article. The part that said America has "welfare queens" and employers who refuse to pay a living wage. A "welfare queen" is someone who gets financial government assistance (even if they have a job), and they can sometimes make quite a lot of money. I personally know one of these people. A former coworker of mine gets government assistance, has a low fixed rent, and has a job. She also has rented out parts of her living space to people and has charged at least double what her fixed rent is. She gets government assistance because she is a single mom.

The other thing that struck me was how political and complex the movie Forrest Gump is. Perhaps it has been too long since I have seen it, but I did not realize the movie goes deeper than the average movie of today.