Gill Blog Entry and Questions

Overall, I think I understand Gill's perception and explanation of post feminism, and I agree with it for the most part. However, there were some areas where I don't think she gives women enough credit.

For example, she describes women as so longer being the sexual object, but the desiring sexual object. I can see where she is coming from that women are no longer portrayed, at least all of the time, as passive but rather as seductresses working for their own pleasure. However, I just don't think that all women are portrayed this way in media. Actually, I think most women in media are not portrayed this way. I don't think Gill is giving women or media producers enough credit that maybe women are not only focused on sex.

Because I'm the discussion leader on this article, I don't want to give all of my questions away. But in relation to what I mentioned above, what do you guys think? Do you think Gill is exaggerating about women as desiring sexual objects?

Gill also describes post feminism as a balance between individualism and neoliberalism. Here's a definition of neoliberalism from Google: a political orientation originating in the 1960s; blends liberal political views with an emphasis on economic growth. I guess I'm a little lost in her connection of neoliberalism and post feminism. How does economic growth relate to post feminism? Can someone help me out here?

Also, just curious, were anyone's ideologies regarding feminism, anti-feminism, or post-feminism changed or deepened by reading this article?

Thanks!