11/19 Blog Entry & Discussion Question: Karim "Nation and Diaspora"

In "Nation and diaspora: Rethinking multiculturalism in a transnational context," Karim opens up the article with a very interesting point: "Multiculturalism has redefined the nation as compromising a culturally pluralist population." Karim states how the telephone, internet, satellite television and other media help construct a web of connections among these 'transnations' enabling them to maintain and enhance their cultural identities.

As Karim seeks to explore the conceptual placement of multiculturalism within the nation-state and the strong emergence of global diasporic linkages, she suggests rethinking of the policy within a transnational context. Karim divides his arguments into subsections of nations: transnations/diasporas, diasporic cultures and global structures, globalizing from below, diaspora's media, and reconceptualising multiculturalism in the 21st century. In my blog entry, I will be elaborating on diaspora's media and reconceptualising multiculturalism in the 21st century.

The diaspora's media main challenge they face is in reaching their audience who has spurred ethnic media. This implies the edge of technology adoption; for example, obtaining VCR's prior to another country. This specifically reminds me of the DVD market within the United States. The idea of the DVD players began in 1994, but was not officially released into the market in Japan until 1996. It was in the following year, 1997, that DVDs were released into the market in the United States. It really makes you think why this happened, whether it is a technological advancement and/or cultural differences within the markets. Furthermore, Karim brings up the concept of diasporic programming. I am Hispanic, and it was interesting to read about how Univision and Telemundo are available on almost every cable system in Latin America. Both of these networks have a growing number in the United States, which makes me happy to hear. It's always nice to hear news about what is happening back in different countries, whether it is your place of birth or you have relatives/friends there, or are just simply interested.

The receonceptualising multiculturalism in the 21st century states how diasporas have grown significantly in recent times, with extended families, friends and even coworkers settling in different countries and/or continents. Having friends outside of the United States, it is always refreshing to maintain in touch with friends I made while I was studying abroad in Europe. Prior to the onset of the Internet, this would have been a much more difficult process and I am thankful that my foreign friends are just an e-mail or a Facebook message away.

These two points lead to my discussion question: Do you believe multiculturalism is an ongoing issue in not only the media, but in today's world as a whole that we should be addressing more? Why or why not? Does multiculturalism and diasporic culture have an advantage or disadvantage in certain situations? Could you specify some situations it would be an advantage or disadvantage to be multicultural?