11/5 DQ and Blog

I found the things that Jackson Katz talked about quite interesting, his approach to masculinity in media has never really occurred to me before; perhaps because I, like most people, have become accustomed to these media messages? For example, I found his explanatioisn of Eminem quite interesting, especially since he used Eminem as a "contradicting" source of masculinity.

According to Katz, Eminem expresses a form of rebellion that really is not rebellion in young [white, male] teenagers. However, I feel that Katz failed to see that Eminem for most people is seen as completely different. I understand where Katz is coming from, his explanation supports his argument that Eminem is sexist and violent, however even some feminists like Eminem, but not for his "sexist" or "violent" behavior. Take my sister for example, she claims he expresses the concerns of the lower class quite well. His violence is not towards women or lower class suffering people but rather the traditional,upper-class peoples of society. This is her reason for buying into the Eminem brand (although personally I've always disliked his sexist tacts.)

Another thing that interested me was Katz's argument about how Clinique, a feminine brand, in one ad attempted to use a universally known violent and masculine symbol to get male (masculine) buyers to buy to their product. This reminded me of the male (masculine) brand, Axe. The entire brand is based on masculinity and achieving masculinity that women just cannot ignore. In one commercial, beautiful, sexy women (almost warrior-ish) are seen running somewhere. They come in droves and audiences are wondering why they are running like animals, almost at competition with each other. Then we see a rather normal man spraying himself with Axe on an island. The women run at him, these almost masculine, warrior-like women all want this man because he is spraying Axe. This brand has also moved into the women market as well with a new line called "Axe for Her." The same concept is used for women, saying that they will get undivided attention from men if they wear Axe. Instead of meeting disapproval from women, Axe is rather welcomed by both parties.

So, if both parties readily accept this masculine and violent behavior, is it bad that the media continues to portray this image? Or is it that most people, both male and female, just see ads as exaggerated forms of what is true so they continue to accept them?