11/5 Katz Blog

I connected with a lot of points in this article. One of the biggest ones is the obsession with violence in the media, mostly film. We love big blockbusters where awesome exploding special effects take presidence over intelligent scripts (most of the time). And these action movies are dominated by men, especially the uber-popular comic book superhero movies. But I think it has started to branch out more in the inclusion of women. In the past ten years, we've seen movies like Kill Bill, Resident Evil, and Sucker Punch where the action hero is female. I think these movies have contributed to Feminism's cause but in the same instance contributes to America's obsession with violence.

In talking about Feminism, I think Feminism needs to focus a lot on what media messages to males are. It seems counter-intuitive but I think it would help a lot with the goal of equal rights. By breaking down the media messages sent to men such as violence and misogyny, refocus of these messages can help create a more positive atmosphere for males, especially young males, to learn. Males consume a lot of media, specifically action movies and video games. I'm not sure what the best solution is but I can definitely see that there's a problem.