11/7 Blog Entry & Discussion Question: Towards queer television theory

Michele Aaron starts out her article with stating its aim: "To scrutinise the relationship between 'queer' and 'TV', not just between sexual dissidence, say, and popular culture but, more importantly, between the specific critical position and this specific media experience."

For clarification purposes, I just want to reiterate the three avenues Aaron emphasizes on throughout her article. Aaron maps out the three avenues that queer television has begun to do so:
1. "queer and now" - involves that critical exploration of contemporary texts that are deemed queer either in terms of the sexuality of their creators or audience, or through a 'gender-play' suggestiveness of their content
2. "sweet queer-after" - similarly attends to the queerness of television makers and viewers but does so as a retroactive or, an archaeological project (Sullivan 2003).
3. "queer re:" - questions the queerness of the medium - of the technology, and of viewing - itself.

For the most part, I understood this article, but could not necessarily relate to it because I have never seen The L Word or Six Feet Under. However, reading previous articles regarding the transgender and male gaze helped me understand this better. When it comes to topics like such, including the queerness, I feel as if it is prominent in different outlets of media, whether it be through TV, advertisements, magazines, etc.

When it comes to Aaron's third avenue, "queer re", do you believe queerness in the media was more prominent a few years ago than it was today, or vice versa? Can you think of examples to back up your answers? (Besides The L Word and Six Feet Under).