Becker Blog and Discussion Questions

As I read through this article, I found it to be very interesting. One of the main reasons being that I could relate really well with what was being talked about. Since I was born in the 1990's, I could understand and follow what Becker was talking about. I could almost place myself back during that time to understand it better, even though I was a child at the time. To begin my post, I feel as though I need to say something about the vocabulary used in the article- particularly the term "slumpy" or "slumpies". To me, the term itself sounds like an incredibly derogatory term. It just sounds distasteful. The irony in that is that the people who are said to be "slumpies" are those who are trying to do better for society. The people who specifically try to be more politically correct and professional. It was hard for me to make a connection between the two. At the same time, I found irony in the fact that "slumpies" were striving for equality and political correctness and yet they were being called and referring to themselves as slumpies. If they are classifying themselves with some clique-y term..are they not doing exactly what they are fighting against? The article itself, though, I thought was pretty interesting as well. What blows my mind every time is the fact that these things happened and were widely accepted less than 20 years ago. They were the norm at the time. And the change that happened to which we now have more queer television shows as well as shows that use the transgendered or queer gaze was less than 15 years ago! That was within our lifetime! Although not all equality issues, especially those involving queer culture, have been solved, they surely have come a long way in such a short period of time.

My question for this article is: If we can do these large of movements within such a short period of time, what else would you like to see happen during the next twenty years or so?

And can someone try to explain the term slumpies and where it came from?

"The Slumpy class is broadly composed of the upscale and upwardly mobile baby boomers and Generation Xers whose centrist politics built Clinton's moderate middle whose unprecedented levels of college education drove the postindustrial information economy, and whose incomes helped fuel anything from the Bull Market to the popularity of L.A. Eye Works. Throughout much of the 90's the network executives were interested in creating programs that would appeal to such viewers." - pg 186-187

From what I understood of the article it's the baby boomer and generation Xers who are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. So they supported social issues like gay-rights, prochoice, and environmental protection but also opposed fiscal issues like shared wealth and welfare programs. I think Becker came up with the term himself, I can't seem to find the word used anywhere else.

I hope this answered your question.
Correct me if I'm wrong?

Exactly -

Thanks Paige.

-Liora