Becker: Gay-Themed TV and the Slumpy Class (Blog and DQ Post)

Being a child of the 90s, I found this article extremely intriguing and relatable. I have heard the term, "politically correct," before, but I never considered that there was a time not too long ago where that kind of thinking did not exist. Going through school, I was always taught to use inclusive language and pick my words and actions carefully as not to offend anyone. Little did I know, these teachings were being developed and tested on me and my peers.

I think Slumpy is a weird term. I really don't understand why it has to be that word to describe an affluent, socially/politically-tolerant person. Regardless, it is very clear to me now there that was this social class of people called Slumpies who are socially liberal but fiscally conservative. I had never really been able to make a solid identification of this class or people who held these values because I was so young when witnessing them (Bill Clinton, Seinfeld, etc.). It feels good to see it and have it explained to me in such a clear way!

Another thought that came to mind was that our Media Literacy class was possibly a product of the PC culture of the 90s. I'm not sure when classes like ours began to pop up in colleges in America, but I feel like our class is related to that movement. Yes, we are not always focusing on being inclusive or PC in our language, but that fact that we are so closely analyzing media for elements of political incorrectness tells me that we are trying to be more accepting of diversity in our consumption of media. This closely aligns with how Becker lays out the 90s slumpy trends.
Q: Do you guys see our class as related/a product of this 90s PC/slumpy movement?

I really like that Becker ties in Bell Hooks' idea of "eating the other." I think this movement and Hooks' ideas are totally related and I just think it's cool.

I found Becker's description of Queer Straights (p. 203) to be particularly interesting because that idea was never something that crossed my mind as existing, nevertheless, having its roots in politcally-tolerant trends of the 90s.
Q: How did you guys react to the idea of Queer Straights? Do you know of any examples of this trend around today?

Pretty much throughout this whole article, I just kept relating it to the word "hipster" of today. I know hipsters are generally thought of as dirty, glasses-wearing poor young people, but I totally know of a class of affluent hipsters (more J. Crewy) and I feel like they stemmed from the Slumpies in Becker's article. The J. Crew hipsters of today remind me of the Slumpies beause of their liberal views as well as their desire to live comfortably and consume a certain type of products (Apple products, coffee, ride 10-speeds, etc.) I don't know if that was a huge leap or if that made sense (or if it was even PC, sorry if it was rude!).
Q: Do you guys see any evidence of evolution of these PC or ultra-tolerant Slumpies of the 90s in our culture today? Examples?
p.s. I love J. Crew, so please, no one be offended.

All in all, loved this article and will probably write my next paper on it! :)