Blog Post: 11/7

In her article "Towards Queer Television Theory", Michele Aaron discusses her opinions on how queerness is viewed and portrayed in the media. She does this by breaking the media/queerness in the media into four subclasses, or avenues. Each has different characteristics and each strategy fulfills a different message. The first and by far most popular avenue she mentions is the "Queer and Now" approach. In this approach, the media portrays the queer person or persons through either his or her own eyes and perspective, or through someone else' eyes that is in the same position. The main point of this avenue is to allow the audience to fully connect with the queer character and to identify with them. It allows the audience members to grow a sense of empathy and closeness not only with the character them self, but also with the idea that the character is queer- allowing viewers to sort of take a walk in the shoes of the queer person. I'm not sure if this is the most commonly used form of expression of queerness in media/cinema, or if it seems as such simply because of how easily it is identified. Either way, I personally believe that this is by far the most influential technique. The idea is to build the relationship between character and viewer and then to force the viewer to develop that empathy for the character and his or her situation.
The other three approaches, being "Sweet-queer after", "Queer-Re", and "Extraterrestrial" were actually pretty confusing to me. From what I understand about the Sweet-queer After is that the approach is not used in creating media, but rather in watching and interpreting it. I think this technique is used more to analyze how media and cinema were BEFORE people began analyzing it the way they do today. In doing so, however, we are able to see the purest form of expression of queerness- that being queerness that was not intentionally put there. I think that some of this can definitely be a stretch, but some of it is more than apparent in film. Queer-Re and Extraterrestrial were extremely confusing to me. As far as the Queer-Re goes, I could only identify it with what we learned about the transgendered/gendered gazes. That movie and media watching is all about the experience and not just about what we see on the screen- that all attributes come in to play and have influence over how we view and interpret things. And finally, extraterrestrial confused me mostly because I felt like it was trying to set queerness in the media completely aside from everything else. That in a way, it was trying to highlight something but at the same time, say that it was completely normal and nothing to be highlighted. I'm not quite sure about this one.

For today, I suppose my discussion question is about that- the extraterrestrial point of view. What do you guys think that Aaron was getting at with this view? Why would the queer community want to ever use an approach like this to get their point across? Does this only accentuate something that they (meaning queer community) have been striving ever so hard to make normal?