Heroes of Assimilation

Disability is a touchy subject for many people. It can be awkward to talk about. This being said, it's interesting to take into account what the media says about disability. In the article, there were a couple individuals who explained that "disability" is a broad term. Some might think an individual has a disability, but the individual would disagree. Personally, I do not like to assume that anyone has a disability. It's not always easy to tell, and even if one can "tell" that a person has a disability, the person in question might feel 100% non-disabled.

This article made me think of a certain coworker of mine. He has limited use of one arm and walks with a limp, but other than that there is nothing about him that severely impairs his life. The other day he was assisting a customer who was a transgender female. After the customer was out of earshot my coworker turned to me and said "Isn't that person disgusting?" I said no, but I didn't want to get into a conversation with him on the subject any further. With all due respect to everyone, I wondered why my coworker would say such a thing about a person, when he has experienced the same treatment because he is noticeably "disabled". Is the media perhaps telling disabled people to treat people who are "different" in a negative way, just like they may sometimes be treated?