Judith Williamson Blog and DQ Post

So my internet went out and my original blog and DQ post got deleted, but I'll try to remember the jist of it....
Because I've taken and Intro to Mass Comm class before, I had been exposed to most of Williamson's theories about advertisement (signification, meaning-making). However, I did find her discussion on Differentiation very interesting. Once a consumer understands the ad for a product and identifies with it (because the advertiser did a great job on getting them drawn in), the consumer is then allowed to choose that product and has to continue to compare it with other similar products (and their advertisements) in the future. It is the advertisers job to make their brand/ad different enough to, as Williamson says, create an "image" that is recognizable, memorable, and strong enough to create brand loyalty.
One company whose advertising has definitely differentiated itself through advertising in my mind is Target. When I was growing up, Target ads felt kind of frumpy to me; they seemed like they were targeted at homey mom type people. However, in the past few years, I have noticed that Target's commercials and print ads are much more lively, bright, use fun music, and are witty/clever. This new image of Target has helped it pop out to me in my mind when I pick where I want to do my shopping. Now I think of the ads and envision myself going to a fun, hip, bright store, not just a place my mom goes to pick up stuff.
Q: Can any of you think of ads/companies that have stuck out to you over time and have thus sufficiently differentiated themselves against competitors to make a loyal consumer? Or have any taken a bad turn in advertising that has made you turned off to a product/company? What elements of Williamson's article, other than Differentiation, can you identify in these good/bad ads?
Q: This is just a random question about advertising in general. Do you think that advertising will soon reach a point where it is just too plentiful and unique (especially with the amount of advertising degree-holding people there are in the market) so that consumers are virtually unsusceptible to it? Have we reached that point in some ways?

-Laura Smith

I love Target :-) Except I can't go without spending at least $50 so I limit myself on my adventures there. I agree though, I think it has definitely broadened it's target audience. (HAHA, pun not intended)