Karim Blog and DQ Post

I found Karim's article very relatable and applicable to my life. Through several of my jobs, I have been fortunate to have met people from many different countries and cultural backgrounds and have been able to ask them about where they came from.

I have found one distinct difference in how others speak about their countries of origin and how I think about mine (the US). Out of everyone I've met, they speak about their home country and people as a very homogenous place and culture. For example, several of my Korean friends told me how rare it is to see white people where's she from and that she rarely ate anything other than Korean food. My Irish friends told me just how "Irish" (drinking, laughing, easy-going) people actually are in Ireland and that he's never met people like that here.

I believe this homogeneity relates closely to Karim's discussion of multiculturalism, and actually, it quite disproves his argument that multiculturalism is everywhere. His early statement of how nations were created to surround a certain ethnic group more aligns with those that I've spoken with recently.

Q's: Is it possible that because America was created as a "melting pot" that we have always been confronted with the benefits and challenges of multiculturalism? And because of this, we see it strange that other countries are just now incorporating it? Are we viewing other countries' cultures through an already multicultural lens?

I am not trying to say that the whole world is segregated into culture groups or that I think my friends are racist at all. They just told me how it is. I have, myself, been to other countries where I've seen elements of multicultural acceptance, but never as prominent as in the US.

Overall, interesting article! Very relatable to the American story!