Response to Ralph, Fred, Archie, and Homer

This article is another article that brings to light how influential the industry is in the content we see in the media. Not only does it highlight the industry's influence, but it also brings to light the importance of how class structures are represented in television. He brings up shows from the '70s and '80s such as This Flintstones and All in the Family. I can recall watching All in the Family because my parents used to watch it. The working class dad is definitely represented as a buffoon. When I first thought about it I thought the media has come a long way and they have better represented the working class, but the article points out that that is not necessarily the case. The few shows they have brought out to represent the working class still feature buffoons. He brings up the market and how producers have to make decisions quickly and usually decide on a program that will bring in viewers, even if it is a show that will represent the working class as a fool with the women being smart and organized people. He also brings up that network decisions also come with advertising in mind. Again...it all comes back to the industry and money making. Producers seem to be more concerned with what is suitable for them and the market instead of what would be more suitable for the television audiences. He does mention television audiences being a factor in what is chosen as a program, but not for the right reasons. They only speculate what the audience wants and what they think is the right audience (often just to boots ratings which then boots profit). I understand the media industry is fast paced, but I don't think that making quick decisions should be an explanation. It just seems like an excuse to me.

Discussion Question: Women have become more widely represented in the media in positions of power, but as the article points out, working class men are still represented as buffoons. Besides what the article has pointed out, what could be contributing to this continuous representation? By displaying the man as a working class buffoon and the woman as a organized and smart...is the media trying reverse the old gender roles that used to be seen before the feminist movement?