Gill Response & DQ

This article was very interesting in the sense that it argued feminism to be best understood as a distinctive sensibility, made up of a number of interrelated themes. These themes are: femininity is a bodily property, the shift from objectification to subjectification, an emphasis upon self-surveillance, monitoring and self-discipline, a focus on individualism, choice, and empowerment, the dominance of a makeover paradigm, and a resurgence of ideas about natural sexual difference. Through explanation of each theme, Gill uses media examples. The theme that I related with most was the femininity as a bodily property section. Gill talks about how magazines for women are constantly focusing how women's bodies-how they can look younger, feel better, look hotter, more toned, etc. The magazines are constantly scrutinizing and dissecting public figures and celebrities. For example, I was at the grocery store over the weekend while I was checking out, I noticed just about every magazine cover had Kim Kardashian on the front with big headlines talking about Kim's huge pregnancy weight gain. To me, this is ridiculous to scrutinize a woman's weight when she is pregnant with her first child. I remember when Jessica Simpson gained a lot of weight during her pregancy and the tabloids are still talking about her and updating the world if she gained or lost 5 pounds.
This article points out that although there is this idea of feminism in the sense that women have a "can-do girl power", women still are portrayed as sexual objects and undergo extreme scrutiny in media texts. While men are hardly if at all ever scrutinized in the media.
DQ: After reading this article, what did you agree with and what did you disagree with? Do you agree with the author's points? Which ones? Do you think that it is completely the media's fault for these notions about women? Or are women somewhat to blame for these media stereotypes? What do you think postfeminist media will look like in 10 years? Will it be the same as it is today as described in the article? Will it be different?

I had the same experience this past weekend while I was at Target. I looked from magazine to magazine discussing Kim Kardashian's weight and I'm just feeling so confused for obvious reasons and similar the to what you described. I think it is important to point this out in reference to the theme you discussed about the emphasis women's magazines have on the body. Magazines are about beauty and fashion and how to attain these ideals. How can I look my best? By buying this make-up, exercising constantly, buying this dress, wearing high heels, and all for what? I think the question that comes to mind in discussions about and related to this subject matter would be, "who am I doing this for?" Are we trying to look presentable for the workplace? Are we trying to impress our peers? Are we trying to attract a mate? Are we trying to make ourselves feel good? Can it just be a big melting pot of all the above? I don't know the answer, but I just think about how any of these emotions or questions are dictated. If we are trying to feel good about ourselves and confident, but are doing so by consuming these media ideals of beauty, what is it we are really accomplishing and to what end?