Johnson Article Response

I've never really been much of a sports fan. I can watch soccer or sometimes tennis, but most other sports bore me. With that said, I completely understand where Johnson is coming from in this article. I feel this need to be up to date on the big things happening in sports despite my lack of interest because I don't want to feel excluded from conversations about these events. Johnson talks a bit about this "water cooler" aspect of sports viewing.

I feel like sports are so universal and that's part of what makes them so interesting to study. You don't need to speak the same language to participate in sports viewing. You don't need to understand the culture of the country the players are from. You just need to understand the rules. Thus, sports have the potential to be a site for multicultural interaction. With the advent of new technology, this universality has expanded even more. It's easier than ever to interact with sports and to find all of the sports related content you could ever dream of.

DQ: How do you typically interact with sports related content? What types of new media have you used for sports viewing? How do you feel that the medium changes the way you experience sports?

I'm not a huge sports fan in a sense where ESPN is always on in the background and I'm definitley not in a fantasy football league or anything like that. With that said, I do like watching sports but usually just the game. So I'll watch the game when it's being broadcast, but I don't ever feel the need to follow up on any news stories or watch the same clips over and over. I love going to games as well....wild games, twins games, vikings...you name it, I love it. Watching the games in person is a much different expereience than watching them on tv. The atmosphere is fun and exciting and you're surrounded by enthusiasic fans, so it just makes watching more fun. Other than that, I don't really think that and particular sports medium changes the way I experience sports but I understand how they could for die hard fans.