Response to Johnson article

It happened just last month. I was gearing up for my weekly show. I had been looking forward to it since last weeks episode left me on the edge of my seat, wanting more. I made sure to have most of my homework done, made some dinner, got into my comfy clothes, sat in front of the television, flipped to the channel (5 minutes before the start time) and found the channel airing a March Madness game that was only in the first half. In the article for today, Johnson discussed my very problem of live sporting events interfering with "regular television flow". As frustrating as it can be, it demonstrates just how important sports are to networks because of the fact that they hold such a large audience.
With the emergence of smart phones and the way that audience members are attached to them, networks had to get creative in order to keep the attention of their audience. It's amazing how sporting events incorporate social media into the game. This winter I attended a few Wild Hockey games and at each one they told spectators to post everything from pictures to their seat numbers on social media. They even gave away prizes to a percentage of audiences members who posted things to social media regarding the game.
Some sporting events have gone even further. For the summer Olympics, NBC created an app that was host to articles, videos, highlights and competitor bios. During the games, there were even commercials showing people using and watching videos with the app which reached out and obtained even more users. With the app and the almost constant coverage of the Olympic Games, people were bombarded with the event.

DQ: With every sport creating apps and reaching out to mobile audiences, will mobile and online news/sports coverage get rid of television broadcasts of sporting events? Or are mobile apps bringing in more viewers and creating a larger sports audience?

You bring up a really good point about how social media has influenced the way sports tv (and basically every other kind of programming)is produced. If you look back at old news shows or sports shows, they are completely different than how they are today. Now after practically every segment, the news anchor will tell you to give your opinion, or "check something out" on their facebook or twitter page. It's just crazy to think that the explosion of social media has revolutionized programming.

Even though there are so many new ways of accessing sports coverage, I don't think they will stop brodcasting them on tv. These apps that have been created are really just for individual viewing purposes to sort of keep up with all the stats, watch highlights or get some quick news, but when it comes to actually watching the game, it's usually more of a social event. People love getting together to watch sports either at a friend's house or at a sports bar. I work at a bar in downtown St. Paul and whenever theres twins game, wild game or vikings game, IT'S PACKED! For that reason alone I feel like broadcasting sports on tv couldn't possibly be replaced by mobile apps on a phone. As for the second part of the questions- I don't think these apps will create a larger viewing audience just because they people who are downloading these apps are the people who are big sports fans. Anyone who isn't interested in sports, probably won't change their minds just because they can watch them on their phone.