iCulture Response

I completely blanked and forgot to write a blog for today (yikes, too many final projects due this week!), so hopefully this can still count for partial credit.

As an Advertising student, this article was particularly interesting to me because I can see how useful it is to the companies to aggregate all of this information. As shameful as it may be to admit, I think it's really cool. I've often remarked on how super awesome it is that Facebook is omniscient with its ads. I know that makes me sound like a crazy person, but I'm past caring. It's interesting to think about how somewhere out there is a complete record of our lives, whether we like it or not. I'm a very private person and I do understand how my information is being used, so when I do update my Facebook or Twitter, it's typically for purposes of making sure potential employers have evidence of my social media savviness rather than actually communicating something meaningful about my life. For example, I might post something about how much I loathe comic sans as a font and feel that it should be exterminated, but I'm not likely to post something about how much I miss my grandma who passed away recently. Somethings should stay personal.

I have a friend who's studying chemical engineering who often jokes about how he must be on a number of government watch lists because he's always researching how chemicals react and how bombs are made for various papers and projects for his classes. I find this humorous because of how true it is, especially based on the information in Andrejevic's article. It's completely fascinating (to me, at least) to think about how this information (the majority of which must be useless) is collected and sifted through to find the nuggets of insight that will determine the ads we are exposed to. I also kind of love the idea of using consumers to do the really expensive work for free and convince them that it's to their benefit like with Nike iD. I might be a terrible human being. The jury's still out on that one.

Even though we've already had class, I'd still like to post a discussion question on the off chance I might get partial credit: What do people think of Google's "incognito" window option? Do people use this to get around having their information stored or do they see it as a way for these companies to collect information in an even more deceptive way? Do people trust Google/incognito windows?