Main | Architecture 1701 - Social Design Issue »

Midtown: ironically in the middle of nowhere.

As my hour long hike from the light rail to the unknown whereabouts of this "Midtown" place, I said to myself, "Self, why is it, do you think, that we weren't assigned a nice little place on campus to observe this so-called flowing energy thing?" The answer was only a few blocks ahead of us by this point, until the gigantic building came into view at the very last second. As I entered the market, I was immediately hit with the element of surprise. It was like a juicy oasis in the middle of a long, dusty, barren, under-construction section of the city. This was exactly where I was supposed to be.

The type of energy at the Midtown Market was physically obvious, the colorful lights illuminated the otherwise dull warehouse of a place into a festive block of cultures all melted and meshed into one another. I could have sworn I had been through China, Greece, India, and Mexico all in the same two minutes. Mid chinese food, I realized that I had to observe for my blog, and not just for fun! I began to search around for different lights and decided that it was way too obvious of an answer. What had stopped me from remembering why i came there was exactly the thing that i needed to talk about in my blog! Energy was being transfered from people to people everywhere in this place! Energy wasn't all physical, but more of a feeling. This feeling was the shock I had upon entering this place, the feeling of awe I had at all of the diversity and smiling faces, and the accomplished feeling of satisfying a specific craving and hunger. As Claire and I fed off our plates, the diverse cultures and the different people feed off of eachother (in a figurative sense of course) to create a massive energy source that kept people (like myself) entranced.

After I decided my discovery was quite meaningful and probably a better answer than "colored lightbulbs" I began to think of examples of uses, creations, and exchanges of this vibrant energy. The creation took place in the hearts of people, and came out as jewelry, rugs, food, music, candy, or clothing. Starting a conversation or sharing a smile was a simpler way to create energy, and to carry out with the flowing and exchanging of it. The use of this energy was clearly to fuel other people's needs to learn about these cultures. I left feeling that I would be back very soon. It wasn't the chinese food I had been craving after all, but this conscious flow of energy in the cultural expression. This energy would be used to spread knowledge to all other cultures, and to express their pride in their history and country.

Claire and I walked back feeling amazed. We arrived back home so fast that it was hard to believe how long it took to get to the market. All of the facial expressions, friendly conversations, passionate art, and cultural depth really refreshed the part of me that was getting bored with life. The aesthetics in the place just took me to a whole new level of appreciating the little things. After all, it was only a market, for crying outloud! Claire and I were in the end very pleased with the whole day, and so I decided to make it a goal of mine to get out at least once a week an explore more places off and on campus, and just sit and absorb the little things that aren't so obvious unless one listens for them.