University of Minnesota
http://www.umn.edu/
612-625-5000

Campuses:

CLA Language Center

News Categories

Monthly Archives

> About Us > Language Center News

Language Center News

Summary of March 2015 Language Center Events

TandemPlus Bowling this Friday!

TandemPlus is hosting a bowling event this Friday, March 6, 2015 at Goldy's Gameroom in Coffman Union from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. Shoes are free on Fridays. The lanes are on us, and so are the appetizers! This event is open to all current TandemPlus participants, partnered or not; come, meet more Tandem friends, have fun, listen to and speak other languages, and enjoy some bowling. The appetizers are first come, first served and they go quickly!

Meet the Development Studio Student Staff

This spring, the Language Center's Development Studio is home to Agnes, the AV assistant, and Emma, the web editor. Here are some short self-introductions!

Agnes-dev-edit.png

Agnes Hong

My name is Agnes Hong and I'm from Anchorage, Alaska. I immigrated from South Korea when I was 3 years old and I grew up speaking Korean at home. I also lived in Los Angeles, California for about 8 years. I'm a Senior studying Archaeology/Anthropology at the University along with a minor in Environmental Science. I have studied Japanese, Chinese, and Korean in the past. I love to cook, read, and spend time doing various crafts.

emma-edit.jpg

Emma Hage

My name is Emma, and I'm the web content developer in the Development Studio. Currently, I can stutter in four languages--English, Spanish, French, and Swedish--and I spend my time dreaming about all of the places I can travel abroad! I'm a first-year undecided student, but I'm considering a Linguistics major and ESL certification. My free time is dedicated to petting cats and eating ice cream, and my favorite color is Crayola's "macaroni and cheese."

TandemPlus Arabic-English Pizza Party on Friday

TandemPlus and the Arabic language program are hosting a pizza party on Friday, February 27, 2015 from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. at Punch Pizza in Stadium Village.

If you have ever been to one of our Punch Pizza events, it will be very similar, except this time it is just for Arabic speakers and learners!

Bring your partner, or if you don't have one, come join us and look for one. Get out of the cold, hang out, speak in Arabic and English, eat delicious fire-brick pizza and enjoy beverages -- on us!

This event is for all speakers and learners of Arabic, whether you are participating in Tandem or not.

CARLA Summer Institute Funding Opportunities

For instructors of French and Spanish

The PACE Project will provide funding for up to ten instructors of French and Spanish at the University of Minnesota to attend one of the 2015 CARLA summer institutes. These one-week institutes run from July 13 to July 31 and cover a variety of topics including second language acquisition basics for teachers, classroom assessment development, content-based instruction, and implementing technology in the second language classroom.

Funding will be awarded to up to ten instructors on a first-come, first-served basis until April 3, 2015. Each French or Spanish instructor may apply for funding to only one institute. Please note that some institutes fill up quickly. You can indicate your interest through this form.

Questions about this special funding can be directed to Stephanie Treat at treat002@umn.edu.

The PACE Project is funded by a grant from The Language Flagship.

For LCTL instructors

CARLA offers instructors of Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) at the University of Minnesota a special scholarship to attend one of the 2015 CARLA summer institutes. These one-week institutes run from July 13 to July 31 and cover a variety of topics including second language acquisition basics for teachers, classroom assessment development, content-based instruction, and implementing technology in the second language classroom. Instructors are required to pay a non-refundable $25 commitment fee, but the balance of the institute cost will be paid by CARLA -a value up to $325!

A limited number of scholarships will be awarded to current University of Minnesota LCTL instructors on a first-come, first-served basis until April 3, 2015. Each instructor may apply for funding to only one institute. Please note that some institutes fill up quickly. You can indicate your interest through this form.

Questions about this special funding can be directed to Karin Larson at larso205@umn.edu.

Go to the CLA home page.

Twin Cities Campus: