University of Minnesota
http://www.umn.edu/
612-625-5000

Campuses:

CLA Language Center
> About Us > Language Center News > Archives

Recently in Classrooms, Media & Equipment Category

The Office of Classroom Management has announced that during the 2015 spring semester, VCR and DVD players will be permanently removed from the general purpose classrooms in Folwell Hall. This is part of a multi-year plan designed to encourage the safe storage of materials online and to limit the upkeep on outdated platforms.

CLA faculty and staff that require assistance in transferring their DVDs and tapes to a digital format can contact their department's relationship manager.

The Language Center can also assist CLA language instructors request digitization through the DCL. Instructors may also reserve a portable DVD player or an external DVD drive from the Language Center to bring to the classroom.

Multilingual TV in the Multimedia Lab: Now with Persian

The Multimedia Lab in Jones 135 offers multilingual TV programming. Every day, lab patrons can watch a variety of live streaming channels from around the globe on the lab's big-screen television and listen through wireless headphones.

Instructors: Be sure to tell your language students about this venue for real-time, authentic language learning.

The schedule has been updated to include Persian on Monday mornings from 7:45 - 9:30 a.m. This language is now offered through CIC Courseshare in Jones 135B, which is conveniently located inside the lab.

Language Center Hours Fall 2014

Welcome back to the Language Center! Here are our hours for Fall semester:

Main Office and Multimedia Lab:

Monday: 7:45 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 7:45 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 7:45 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Thursday: 7:45 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Friday: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Computer Classrooms:

Monday: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Please note that Monday through Thursday, the exterior doors of Jones Hall will lock at 7:00 p.m. However, between 7:00 and 9:00 p.m. all students, instructors and staff with a valid UCard can access the building through either entrance with their card.

The Language Center will begin entering general Fall semester reservations on Tuesday, July 15, 2014. You may submit reservation requests before that date, and they will be held until July 15. To have the best possibility of receiving the rooms and equipment you need, please submit by 9:00 a.m. on July 15.

• These reservations always require a reservation form.
  • Please submit a form for each class section.
  • Each class is allowed to reserve up to 15 hours in Jones Hall classrooms.
  • Teachers of intensive courses may negotiate their needs.
  • Reservations of other equipment and media are unlimited in terms of amount and frequency (within reason).
  • Instructors must intend to use the technology they are reserving.

See our website for details on policy, and to make an online reservation request.

Language Center Summer Session Hours June 16 - August 8, 2014

Main Office Hours
Monday: 7:45 - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 7:45 - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 7:45 - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 7:45 - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 7:45 - 4:30 p.m.

Multimedia Lab Hours
Monday: 10:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 10:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 10:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Thursday: 10:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Friday: 10:00 - 2:00 p.m.

Computer Classroom Reservation Hours
Monday: 8:00 - 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:00 - 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 - 4:30 p.m.

We ask that instructors of evening courses please submit their classroom reservation requests as soon as possible. Although we plan to be open later than 4:30 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays, we may adjust our schedule on days that we have no rooms scheduled in the evening. We may not be able to accommodate classroom requests that are not made in advance.

Language Center May Session Hours: May 27- June 13, 2014

The Main Office is open Monday-Friday 7:45 - 4:30 p.m.

The Computer Classrooms are available for reservations Monday-Friday 8:00 - 4:30 p.m.

The Multimedia Lab is closed until June 16, 2014.

We plan to offer extended Computer Classroom hours effective June 16. However, currently there are evenings when we have limited demand for classrooms. If you are teaching a summer class that begins 4:30 p.m. or later, please submit your classroom reservation requests as soon as possible so we have a clear picture of classroom demand.

Students with an interest in language and technology are invited to apply to work at the Language Center this summer in one of three teams: Office, Multimedia Lab and Classroom Support.

Experience with administration or technology is preferred, but not required. Undergraduate student status and summer work study funding is required. Students can view the job descriptions and apply online for the Main Office, Multimedia Lab and Classroom Support positions.

Finals Week Schedule: May 12-16, 2014

During Finals Week this Spring, the Main Office will be open standard academic-year hours, and classrooms will be open for all pre-arranged classes.

The Multimedia Lab will be open:

Monday - 7:45 - 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday - 7:45 - 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday - 7:45 - 5:30 p.m.
Thursday - 7:45 - 4:30 p.m.
Friday - 7:45 - 4:30 p.m.

Congratulations to the 2014 SELPie Winners

Did you know that the Language Center employs approximately twice as many undergraduate student staff as continuing non-student staff? Our undergraduate student staff provide primary assistance to students and instructors in public areas like the Main Office and Multimedia Lab, and provide Classroom Support for our four classrooms. In addition, undergraduate students play a vital role on the following teams: Dev Studio, TandemPlus, Technical Support, Testing, Instructional (Moodle) and World Languages Day. The Language Center could not run without our dedicated and skilled undergraduate team members.

The Student Employee Leadership Program (SELP) provides an opportunity to recognize student employees who go above and beyond expectations in their work at the university through the annual SELPie awards for Outstanding Student Employees. Award winners will be honored Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 3:30 - 5:00 p.m. in McNamara Alumni Center, Memorial Hall.

The 2014 winners from the Language Center are:

New Classroom Support Staff - Spring 2014

The Classroom Support Team has added two new hires this semester - Amber Davidson and Carissa Polo. They are both bright and eager to help with anything related to our classrooms and technology, and have many interests in language!

amber_320w.jpg

Amber Davidson

My name is Amber Davidson, and I'm a freshman here at the U. I grew up near a small town in northern Minnesota called Detroit Lakes. I'm majoring in history, and I'm working towards completing a minor in Spanish, as well. Perhaps not surprisingly, one of my passions is learning new languages, and I'm planning on taking as many language classes as I can in the future. Also, in my spare time I like to make music- I sing and play guitar, and I play trombone in the University Band, as well.

carissa_320w.png

Carissa Polo

My name's Carissa! I'm a freshman from Huntley, Illinois, which is a small suburb just outside of Chicago. I'm currently taking Spanish at the U and I am trying to keep up with basic French and Portuguese when I can. In my spare time you can usually find me figure skating, writing for my blog, or filming for my youtube channel. Because music is one of my favorite things in the world, I love going to concerts and working with/for various musical artists.

Language Center Spring Break Hours - March 17-21, 2014

The Language Center Main Office, Jones 110 will be open Monday through Friday over Spring Break 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The Multimedia Lab is closed, but the Walter Library Computer Lab is open from 9:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Language Center Main Office staff can also help students who need access to media and technology.

Spring Copyright Workshops form the University Libraries

Learn about your rights as an author/creator; find out about options for using third-party materials, or dig into issues around classroom and instructional uses. Some workshops offer Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) continuing education credits.

Workshops include:

• Know Your Rights: Copyright Essentials for Authors and Creators
  • Can I Use That? Dealing with Copyright in Everyday Life
  • Copyright in the Classroom (and Online)

You can view the full schedule and register at https://www.lib.umn.edu/copyright/about#workshops

Integrating Video into Language Courses: Know your options!

The word is out about the wonderful service offered by the Digital Content Library (DCL) and more instructors are using Media Drawers, which makes the service even better! However, did you know about these two other resources available to help you incorporate digital media into your classes?

Take a moment to read about these unique resources that can be underutilized by our language programs.

Attention: Mac DiLL Users Connecting from Off-Campus

Instructors who wish to access student recordings made in the Mac DiLL classrooms from an off-campus computer need to first connect to the University network through a Virtual Private Network (VPN). We've recently learned that connecting to the DiLL will only work if you choose UofMvpn or Full Tunnel options when connecting. Do not choose the Split Tunnel option. Please contact the Language Center Technical Coordinator, Diane Rackowski, at dianer@umn.edu if you need more information about connecting to the Mac DiLL server from off-campus.

Language Center Services Tuesday Morning

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 The Language Center Jones Classrooms and Multimedia Lab will open at 12:00 p.m. due to morning class cancellations. The Main Office will open at 7:45 a.m. as usual. Please email elsie@umn.edu if you have general questions and langtest@umn.edu if you have testing-related questions.

Language Center Services Today (Monday)

On Monday, January 27, 2014 Language Center Main Office and Testing services will be available until 4:30 p.m. Since university classes have been canceled, the Jones Classrooms and the Multimedia Lab will be closed for the day. The Main Office and Testing teams will be marginally staffed, but will be pleased to provide service remotely. Please email elsie@umn.edu for general requests and information, and langtest@umn.edu for anything related to language testing, and someone will respond to you promptly. Full Language Center services are expected to resume on Tuesday.

Language Center Services Today

On Monday, January 6, 2014 the Language Center will be very marginally staffed in Jones Hall today. However, all teams will be pleased to provide service remotely. Please email elsie@umn.edu for general requests and information, and langtest@umn.edu for anything related to language testing, and someone will respond to you promptly.

Language Center Study Day and Finals Week Hours

Main Office
Thursday, December 12: 7:45 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Friday, December 13: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday, December 16: 7:45 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, December 17: 7:45 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, December 18: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday, December 19: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday, December 20: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Computer Classrooms
Thursday, December 12 - 8:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m
Friday, December 13 - 10:00 a.m - 5:30 p.m
Monday, December 16 - 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
Tuesday, December 17 - 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
Wednesday, December 18 - CLOSED
Thursday, December 19 - CLOSED
Friday, December 20 - CLOSED

Multimedia Lab
Thursday, December 12: 7:45 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Monday, December 16: 7:45 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday, December 17: 7:45 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday, December 20 - CLOSED

Language Center Main Office Hours Changing Spring 2014

Beginning January 21, 2014, the start of Spring semester, the Language Center main office hours will change.

The new Main Office hours will be the same as the Multimedia Lab hours:

Monday: 7:45 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 7:45 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 7:45 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Thursday: 7:45 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Friday: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Computer classroom hours are unchanged, and rooms will remain available for reservations until 9:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

Although we are reducing our open time for the Main Office, we will improve the quality of service and promote building security by scheduling two Office Assistants at closing time.

An analysis of media and equipment checkouts and small room use determined that between 7:30 and 9:00 p.m. most of our business was accepting returned items. Few items were checked out, and there was almost no small room use.

Instructors who need to return items after 7:30 p.m. can drop media in our return slot (by the door to Jones 110). Equipment can be returned the next day or later. Please do not put computers or other equipment down the return slot.

Instructors who need access to media and equipment or small rooms between 7:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. should email elsie@umn.edu for assistance.

Room Reservations: Declining an invitation means canceling it

When instructors decline a​ ​Google Cal ​invitation ​for their reservation of a Jones Hall small room or classroom, the Main Office has previously been following up to confirm that they really meant to cancel the reservation before we officially make the space available to someone else. However, in every case so far, the instructor did intend to cancel the room. So, to simplify communication going forward, the Main Office will, from now on, treat every Google invitation declined by an instructor as the cancellation of the corresponding reservation. Room reservations for a group will not automatically be canceled when one member declines, but rooms reserved by an instructor for a class will be considered canceled when the instructor declines the invitation. The instructor will receive an email confirming the cancellation.

CLA Student Board Clothing Drive: Drop off in Jones 110

Please donate clothing this week, December 2-6, 2013, in Jones 110. The following items are particularly requested: jeans, coats, gloves, hats and long-sleeved shirts. However, all wearable clothing will be gladly accepted. Donations will be sent to the People Serving People shelter in Minneapolis. This drive is sponsored by the CLA Student Board.

Spring 2014 Reservation Requests Entered November 15

The Language Center will begin entering general Spring semester reservations on November 15. You may submit reservation requests before that date, and they will be held until November 15. To have the best possibility of receiving the rooms and equipment you need, please submit by 9:00 a.m., November 15.

• Each class is allowed to reserve no more than 20 hours in Jones Hall classrooms.

The DCL has asked for some help spreading the word about Media Drawers. Instructors who are using a particular film or clip for a class should add the film to their class Media Drawer. This is an easy way to share materials with students, and it will automatically give undergraduates access to the larger version of films. The larger version looks better than the standard small version and subtitles are easier to read.

If you have questions or would like additional information, please read the DCL Media Drawer FAQ.

Twin Cities academic support colleagues are working together as part of the Modernizing Learning Spaces Formal Community of Practice. The Voice of the Community Affinity Group has been charged with making recommendations regarding improving classrooms, study spaces, and other formal and informal learning spaces. As part of that process, we are gathering input from faculty and students regarding their experiences and requirements in learning spaces.

To complete our charge, we will be conducting a focus group session, and we invite you to participate in the conversation.

The focus group will meet Thursday, October 24, 11:30-12:30 p.m., Nicholson Hall 115.

We are sending this invitation to faculty and support staff asking for 60 minutes of your time to share your observations, as well as needs for supporting smartphones, tablets, laptop,s and other portable information devices within these spaces.

If you are able to attend the focus group session, please let us know by completing the RSVP form.

Additionally, consider sharing feedback regarding three questions through this online survey. Your voice is valued and will influence improvements made to university learning environments.

Sincerely,
MLSfCoP Voice of the Community Affinity Group
(Noah Holm, Sarah Kussow, David Crane, Toni Pangborn, Joel Turbes, Stacy Krueger, Jeff Bullington, Brad Cohen, Scott Spicer, Jeremy Todd, Jim MacDonald, Jackie Campbell)

VoiceThread Workshop: October 25, 2013

Have you heard that VoiceThread is a new tool that's been added to Moodle? Rick Treece (Interim Coordinator of Second-Year French) and Caroline Vang (Professional Development Specialist) from the Language Center are hosting a workshop to introduce it on October 25th (Friday) from 1:25~2:15 p.m. in Jones 10. The session is open to all instructors in our language departments. We'll be showcasing sample VoiceThread projects and assignments which can be done in and outside of the classroom as well as allowing time for you to brainstorm and create your own VoiceThread assignment. Please e-mail Caroline at cevang@umn.edu if you are interested in joining us.

Getting to Know the Classroom Support Staff

Who are the students working in Jones 5 this semester? Here are short self-introductions from the new and returning Language Center Classroom Support student staff.

jonathan_180w.png

Jonathan Prestrud

My name is Jonathan Prestrud, and I'm a senior at the University of Minnesota -- a transfer student -- and I am majoring in Linguistics. I come from New Prague, Minnesota. As for languages, I've studied five: German, Korean, Spanish, French, and Norwegian, and have interests in many others. Over the summer, my girlfriend and I traveled to twelve countries, starting in Morocco and ending in Athens, Greece.

Will13_258w.png

Will Benton

Hi everyone, my name is Will Benton. I am originally from St. Paul, Minnesota. I am a senior this year and I am planning on graduating with a Bachelor's in Individualized Studies, concentrating in Chinese, Business and the History of Technology. This will be my third year at Jones hall. This summer, I spent the month of June traveling in London and Spain. I got to meet up with a few good friends there, including the Language Center's own Jessica Troyan.

Keerthana_240.png

Keerthana Shankar

Ello mates, my name is Keerthana. I've been in Hopkins, Minnesota since 6th grade. I'm a Junior this year and my major is in Asian Language and Literature with a focus in Korean. I have worked in the LC since Fall 2012. Although my major is in Korean, I know some Spanish, and my main passion lies in Japanese. Now, I'm trying to experiment with Brazilian Portuguese, so if you know some words, shoot em at me! This summer, I mainly worked at Jones Hall as well as Carlson and started doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which has become one of my new passions.

Alli13_180w.png

Alli Shaw

Hello! My name is Alli Shaw and I am from Minneapolis, MN. I am a sophomore this year and am interested in occupational therapy but am still figuring out my major, as there is no pre-occupational therapy major at the U. This will be my second year working at the Language Center. I studied Spanish for six years and decided to take American Sign Language this semester. This summer I went to a couple of family reunions, went on camping trips, played soccer, and worked at an awesome bakery called Patisserie 46. Looking forward to working with all of you!

Brandon13_180w.png

Brandon Adams

Shalom all! I'm Brandon and I'm from a small town up north called Fertile, MN. This is my second year at the LC and I really love the atmosphere around the place! I'm a Junior studying English and Jewish Studies with a minor in Hebrew. At the end of this summer I worked on the Event Staff for Orientation and First-Year Programs because I love the Welcome Week program the U has and I always like welcoming the new Freshmen into the university. Excited to meet all the new faces!

Jessica13_180w.png

Jessica Troyan

Hello all it's great to be back! My name is Jessica, and I was born and raised in Eau Claire, WI which is about an hour and a half drive to the east. I'm a Junior this year majoring in English, Spanish and a minor in technical communications. I have worked at the LC for three years, ever since I was a freshman. I have been interested in Spanish ever since I was in elementary school and this summer I was able to study abroad in Toledo, Spain for six weeks along with traveling to France and Italy. This year I thought I would try a new language and so I am also in the process of now learning Portuguese.

ruth13_216w.png

Ruth Zwick

Hello! My name is Ruth. I was born in Michigan but since middle school have lived in the lovely mini-apple. This will be second year at the Language Center and my third year at the U studying Italian and English with an ESL minor. I love Italian and language learning in general and wish I had time to learn more. This summer I worked at the Language Center and American Apparel and enjoyed the mild Minneapolis summer the rest of my time.

viktor.jpeg

Viktor Stelter

Hello, my name is Viktor Stelter. I am from Edgar, Wisconsin. I am a sophomore this year with an undeclared major, although I am leaning toward Scientific and Technical Communications. Although I am currently not enrolled in any language classes, I plan to start Spanish, Russian, or ASL next year. I spent the summer with my friends and worked on a ginseng farm back in Wisconsin.

Molly13_180w.png

Molly Scholesser

My name is Molly and I am from a small town called Le Center, MN. I am currently a Junior majoring in both Family Social Science and Early Childhood Education. I have been working at the Language Center since January of 2013. I am not currently studying any languages, but I have three years of experience in Spanish. Over the summer, I took classes and worked at the Language Center in Classroom Support.

Andrew13_180w.png

Andrew Swenson

My name is Andrew. I grew up in Eden Valley, Minnesota. I am a sophomore studying English and Theater. This is my second year working at the LC. I speak English and also a little German. This summer I worked at a summer camp, hung out with friends, and went on a couple vacations.

CLA-OIT System Maintenance Window on Saturday: Websites Unavailable

Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:00 AM - 2:00 p.m

Due to the CLA-OIT maintenance window, some web sites and services will be unavailable Saturday morning and afternoon, including the following:

If you have questions about CLA-OIT's maintenance work and website availability, please contact the department directly 612-624-4357 or 4help@umn.edu.

Review of Online Magazine on Language Teaching and Technology

The Foreign Language Teacher Magazine is a quarterly online magazine hosted by the University of Colorado's Anderson Language & Technology Center (ALTEC). In the words of one of the editors, Edwige Simon, FLT Mag is "a more practice-oriented publication that would offer information about what language technologists and language centers at the K-20 level are up to these days." It launched at the end of June, but already the site has a substantial amount of information which includes CALL and SLA related articles and book reviews, international and domestic conference reviews, and technology updates related to the FL classroom (have you heard of Vocaroo?). With more resources turning to the online format and community, FLT Magazine can become the place to go to network, find updates on educational technology, and be informed about activities in the global FL teaching field.

Lost and Found: Already Filled to the Brim!

The Jones Hall lost and found, located in room 110, was cleaned out shortly before Fall classes began. However, it is already overflowing with lost clothing, notebooks, and papers. If you or your students are missing any items, please check out our "found" items as soon as you can.

We are going to begin sending course-related papers back to the instructor or coordinator when possible. We will email the student and instructor or coordinator to let them know to expect these items.

Language Center Staff Updates

Please welcome Caroline Vang back to the Language Center. She has rejoined the department in the position of Classroom Support / Professional Development Specialist. Caroline assisted with classroom support coordination during Spring 2013. Since then, she has completed her MA in the ESL program, with a research topic related to Japanese heritage learners. She taught ESL full-time this summer, and plans to combine her work at the Language Center with teaching Fall 2013.

We also have a new Assistant Office Coordinator: Rachel Sherman Johnson. Rachel is new to the Language Center, but not to the university. Rachel just returned from South Korea, where she has been working as an EFL instructor. She is a PhD student in CIDE. She previously worked at this university's Learning Abroad Center, and also served as the Coordinator of Asian Studies for the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University.

We also wish congratulations and farewell to Jenny Boe and Meghan McFadden, who have completed their degree or program and are moving on to teaching Fall 2013. Jenny received her MA in ESL, and Meghan completed the SLC M.Ed initial licensure program for teaching K-12 French and ESL. Both Jenny and Meghan have been with the Language Center since they were undergraduates, and we are fortunate to have had them in our department for so long, and in so many roles. Jenny has served as an undergraduate Office Assistant, a clerical employee, and both an Assistant Office Coordinator and a Classroom Support Coordinator. Meghan started out as a Classroom Support Assistant, and has provided leadership in almost every area at the Language Center since, serving as a Classroom Support Coordinator, interim Lab Coordinator and part of the Testing development team.

Fall 2013 Classroom Reservation Updates

The hard-working Language Center Office undergraduate team have caught up on Fall 2013 reservation requests. If you received a confirmation agenda from the Language Center, please review it for accuracy and note any dates that were not available. If you have not yet submitted your reservation requests, we recommend doing so as soon as possible to have the best possibility of receiving the classroom time you need.

Fall 2013 Classroom Reservation Updates

Thank you instructors and coordinators who have submitted Fall 2013 reservation requests. We received a large number of requests on July 15, and our staff are still entering them one at a time. Please note that the online classroom view is not totally up-to-date for Fall semester. Times may appear open, but a reservation request form may have been previously submitted requesting that time. At this point, reservations are being entered first come, first served. The earlier you can submit your requests, the more likely you are to receive the dates you need.

If you are deciding which days to request a computer classroom, we recommend that you consider Tuesdays, which are still generally available. Fridays on the other hand, are filling up very quickly.

You may continue to reserve Language Center rooms and equipment online or in person.

Easier Alternatives to Oral Interviews

mac_dill.jpg

Formal and informal assessment of students' spoken language is used by most language departments, commonly as one-on-one interviews with the instructor. This can put a huge strain on instructors as they are responsible for not only proctoring and grading each interview, but also: coordinating interviews with each student (which usually takes up several class dates), finding equipment to record the interviews, and figuring out how to access the recordings. Fortunately, the Language Center computer classrooms offer a variety of alternatives to one-on-one oral skills assessment!

All four of the LC classrooms can be used as a Digital Language Lab (DiLL). The DiLL uses an intuitive software interface that allows you to carry out the activities of a traditional language lab. You may already be familiar with the DiLL for informal speaking activities in class, but a growing number of language departments (Spanish, Chinese, ESL) are using the DiLL for graded speaking tasks.

The Language Center will begin entering general Fall 2013 semester reservations on Monday, July 15. You may submit reservation requests before that date, and they will be held until July 15. To have the best possibility of receiving the rooms, media and equipment you need, please submit by 9:00 AM, July 15.

Please note the following reservation guidelines:

• Each class is allowed to reserve up to 20 hours in Jones Hall classrooms.
  • Reservations of equipment and media are unlimited in terms of amount and frequency (within reason).

You may reserve Language Center rooms and equipment online or in person.

Fall 2013: Thinking about AV for Language Classes

If you know that you will incorporate a film into your Fall 2013 classes, check if it has already been digitized by the DCL. If not, summer is the best time to request digitization for the coming semester. Requesting this work over summer will insure that the materials you need are ready your Fall classes.

Congratulations to the 2013 SELP Winners

Did you know that the Language Center employs approximately twice as many undergraduate student staff as continuing non-student staff? Our undergraduate student staff provide primary assistance to students and instructors in public areas like the Main Office and Multimedia Lab, and also provide support to smaller teams like the Dev Studio and TandemPlus. The Language Center could not run without our dedicated and skilled undergraduate team members.

The Student Employee Leadership Program (SELP) provides an opportunity to recognize student employees who go above and beyond expectations in their work at the university through the annual SELPie awards for Outstanding Student Employees. The 2013 winners from the Language Center are:

• Abdulkarim Maalin: Testing Assistant and Somali LPE Developer
  • Francisco Salinas Vega: World Language Day Assistant
  • Jessica Troyan: Classroom Support Lead Student
  • Henry Wahl: Main Office Lead Student
  • Alaina Witt: Dev Studio Assistant and AV Developer

Classroom Support - Getting to Know Us

This Spring, 10 different student employees work in Classroom Support. They are available from 7:45 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Friday to help you with all your classroom technology and language learning needs.

Will_200.png

Will Benton

My name is Will Benton. I am a Junior studying Linguistics and the History of Technology. I am also studying Chinese and am very interested in working in China, mostly as an English teacher, so i am also planning on minoring in Teaching English as a Second Language. This is my second year at Jones Hall and i hope to keep working here until i graduate.

Ruth_200W.png

Ruth Zwick

My name is Ruth Zwick. I am a sophomore majoring in Italian Studies and English. I am interested in teaching English in a foreign country, as I know others in the language center are, and am similarly planning on minoring in English as a Second Language. This is my first semester at the language center and I hope to continue working here while in school.

Jessica_210.png

Jessica Troyan

I am Jessica Troyan, I am a sophomore double majoring in English and Spanish and hopefully a minor in technical communications. I have studied Spanish for about nine years and I plan on going abroad to Spain in Toledo this summer to study. I have worked in the LC for two years and hope to continue working here for two more years!

Brandon_210.png

Brandon Adams

I'm Brandon Adams and am studying English, Jewish Studies, and Hebrew here at the university. I'm new to the Language Center this semester and I feel it's a great environment for what interests me the most! I absolutely love the study of languages and one of my life-long goals is to be multilingual in many languages. After my time here at the U I hope to work in humanitarian aid, particularly in the Middle East, one of my favorite areas of study. As I absolutely love the study of other cultures, I've found the easiest way to understand a culture is to study their language. One day I would like to teach in a university, but with so many different disciplines I'm interested in, I'm not sure what I would go to graduate school for. As I'm in my 4th semester of Modern Hebrew I am working on becoming more fluent and I hope to study in Jerusalem soon.

Miranda_220.jpg

Miranda Moen

My name is Miranda Moen and I am majoring in Architecture and planning on minoring in Neuroscience. In high school I studied Spanish for 3 years and love learning about different cultures but don't currently study them in college. I have been here for 1 semester.

andrew.png

Andrew Swenson

I'm Andrew. I'm studying English. I've taken German classes the last five years and have visited Germany. This is my second semester at the Language Center.

Molly Schloesser

My name is Molly Schloesser. I am a sophomore here at the University of Minnesota. I am currently studying Family Social Science, with a minor in Family Violence Prevention. I am interested in studying Spanish as a potential minor in the near future. I just started here at the Language Center this semester (Spring 2013).

Keerthana_240.png

Keerthana Shankar

This is my second semester working at the Language Center. Pleased to meet you all! Although I am still undecided, I am considering an Asian Languages and Literature major in Korean. I was raised bilingual so my native language is actually Tamil. I've studied Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Korean; none of which I am fluent in yet, but hope to be!

Alli_200W.png

Alli Shaw

My name is Alli and I am a freshman this year at the U. I am currently undecided on my major but I am taking classes that explore my interest in Psychology. I have taken six years of Spanish but have yet to take a language at the U, I am thinking about trying something new as far as the language I decide on. This be my second semester working at the Language Center.

Maxine.png

Maxine Kobinski

I'm Maxine and this is my second Semester working in the LC. I am a double major in German and Linguistics, and minoring in ESL. I am interested in Travel and maybe teaching English in foreign European countries. I hope to leave for Germany and study in Berlin for a year, my application is pending so I guess we'll see!

Main Office Assistants - Getting to Know Us

This Spring, eight students work in the Main Office. They are available from 7:45 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Friday to help you with everything from room reservations to checkout equipment.

Rose220w.jpg

Rose Nguyen

My name is Rose Nguyen. I am a junior studying political science with a minor in family social sciences. I am interested in learning and researching how American policies affect immigrants and the urban community. I am a Vietnamese and English speaker. I have some past experiences in learning Spanish, French and Arabic and would like to be proficient in those languages as well as in Chinese. This is my first semester working for the LC and I am very excited!!

Saoirse_220.jpg

Saoirse McMahon

I'm Saoirse. I'm a junior and double majoring in Psychology and Professional Journalism. I've been working at the Language Center for about a year and a half now. I edit and write for the Elsie Speaks blog, and am currently a Research Assistant for a lab focusing on career assessment and counseling psychology. I have studied mostly French but also some Latin and Spanish. When I was younger I learned a little bit of Gaelic as well. My name means "freedom" in Gaelic and is pronounced "Seer-sha," in case you were curious.

Hunter_240h.jpg

Hunter Slack

My name is Hunter Slack and I am a freshman at the University of Minnesota this year. I have been working in the main office of the Language Center for a semester now. Currently, I plan on majoring in marketing with a minor in design focusing primarily on graphic design. Together I hope to land a job in advertising when I graduate college. I have been studying Spanish as well since high school and I completed Spanish 3015 last fall. I am also a musician and have been playing various instruments in bands for about four years now.

Henry_240w.jpg

Henry Wahl

I'm Henry, a Junior studying Linguistics in CLA. I started Liinguistics a semester late, so I'm just doing the basic classes right now. I've taken a smattering of Spanish in Elementary through high school and now am in Span 3104, Introduction to Hispanic Literatures. I'm also in fourth semester Chinese and I hope soon to go to either or both a Spanish speaking or Chinese speaking country to study abroad. I started working at the Language center a bit over a year ago.

Heather_220.jpg

Heather Berglund

I'm Heather, and I'm studying music therapy here at the U. In high school I studied French for two years (je ne parle pas bien francais... see I probably didn't even get that right) but I would love to study more languages such as ASL, Spanish, and Russian (just because I think it sounds awesome.)

Fuad_220w.jpg

Fuad Warsame

My name is Fuad; this is my 3rd year and my major is communications with a minor in Marketing. I speak a second language which is Somali. I love learning new languages. I'm currently studying Italian. I've been with the LC Office for about a month.

Miranda_220.jpg

Miranda Moen

My name is Miranda Moen. I am a sophomore and am majoring in Architecture and plan on minoring in Neuroscience. I have studied 3 years of Spanish in high school but overall find language and that as a way humans interact very fascinating because being fluent in different languages show different patterns in your brain! I have been in the Language Center for a semester now, but was primarily in the Classroom Support area. I am new to the Main Office this semester and look forward to learning new things and expanding my knowledge all things LC!

jennyL2.jpg

Jenny Li

Hi! I am currently a freshman originally from Apple Valley, MN. I am minoring in Spanish, but undecided for my major. Other than English, I am fluent in Chinese, particularly Cantonese and also in Spanish. My favorite color is pink and I enjoy eating sushi. One day, I wish to own a Siberian Samoyed dog. In the summer time I enjoy going to the beach and in the winter season I prefer staying warm and cozy listening to some Taylor Swift.

Reminder: An Annotated Video Clip Resource is Available

All University of Minnesota-Twin Cities language and culture instructors (including graduate instructors) are eligible to participate in the Berkeley Language Center's Library of Foreign Language Film Clips (LFLFC). This web-based collection features high quality tagged and structured clips from a wide-range of foreign language films. Many clips offer optional subtitles. Because the database is searchable by both keyword and target-language vocabulary, an instructor can quickly select clips based on the particular instructional topic of the day and play or share an existing annotated clip.

To date, few instructors have taken advantage of this opportunity. if you are interested in exploring this resource, please read this Elsie Speaks article and follow the application process outlined at the end of the article. If you have any questions, please email elsie@umn.edu.

Video Recording in Jones 30 and 35 - Now Straight to Media Mill

Instructors can arrange to have their class video recorded remotely in both Jones 30 and 35. Classroom video recording can be useful for an instructor's professional development and to document students' academic progress. Jones 35 is the preferred location for video recording, as the room is equipped with three cameras, which increases the recording possibilities.

Beginning this semester, video recordings are being made to both DVD and computer. Computer files are uploaded to Media Mill and shared with the individual instructor. Instructors who would like to retain a DVD copy should bring a blank DVD with them to Jones on the day of their recording. The DVD is of higher video quality, but the Media Mill recording is easier for the instructor to share with colleagues and students.

Any language instructor can request to have their class video recorded in Jones 30 or 35. To request this service, please check classroom availability, and request a classroom. Please select "Video Recording" on the reservation request form. On the day of the recording, please communicate with Classroom Support staff concerning what they should try to capture. For example, should the focus be on the instructor or on the students, or should the camera follow the action of the class? If you would like us to record student presentations, we can create a separate computer file for each presentation which will make sharing the files with students much easier.

Please contact the Technical Coordinator, Diane Rackowski, at dianer@umn.edu if you have questions about the new video recording setup.

New Classroom Support Coordinator

Please welcome Caroline Vang, our new Assistant Classroom Support Coordinator. Caroline is an ESL-MA student whose area of research is in Japanese-American heritage language learners and how/why they code-switch during their conversation. She received her B.A. from the University of California-Berkeley and she currently teaches ESL at the University of Minnesota.

Annotated Film Clips Now Available

Using authentic video in language teaching has always been an engaging, enriching, and pedagogically sound use of technology. Now thanks to the University of Minnesota's participation in a UC-Berkeley library initiative, it's even quick and easy too!

Playing short film clips in the second-language classroom or sharing them outside of class can be a simple and efficient way to demonstrate a linguistic function, introduce new vocabulary, show a cultural setting and much more! Short clips allow an instructor to get immediately to the relevant point and watching an interesting clip from a target language film can be culturally enriching for students.

Unfortunately, anyone who has ever located and digitized film clips for class will attest that this work can be labor-intensive. Either the clips need to be prepared well in advance of a class or you cannot use them at all.

The Language Center, on behalf of the College of Liberal Arts is proud to introduce a new resource for University of Minnesota language, culture and film instructors. Our university is now one of several participants in the Berkeley Language Center's Library of Foreign Language Film Clips (LFLFC). This web-based collection features high quality tagged and structured clips from a wide-range of foreign language films. Many clips offer optional subtitles.

Films with tagged clips are currently available in the following target languages: Arabic, Chinese, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. If your language is not available, check back! New content is constantly being added. Films in the library include classic and modern films such as Raise the Red Lantern, Caché, Xala, Bella Martha, City of God, Burnt by the Sun and Y Tu Mamá También. Berkeley does not provide a public list of all films available through the LFLFC, but clips are available from close to 350 feature films. The number of clips per film varies considerably, but for most films there are more than ten individual clips available.

Because the database is searchable by both keyword and target-language vocabulary, an instructor can quickly select clips based on the particular instructional topic of the day and play or share an existing annotated clip. For instance, a French instructor looking for examples of introductions can choose from thirty-seven clips. A good choice to consider might be the clip named "Introductions" from Entre les Murs, which has the description "Old and new faculty introduce themselves in a summer meeting prior to the start of classes." The work to find the right video clip is almost done before you've even hit play on a single film.

Some clips even come complete with educational materials. Instructors can also upload and share their own lesson plans for particular clips.

Since the U of M is now a participating university in the LFLFC, all U of M language and culture instructors now have access to these tagged and structured clips for their own classes. There is a catch: in accordance with U.S. copyright law, U of M instructors only have access to those clips in the LFLFC from films for which a university department at the U of M has purchased a physical DVD. This means that instructors can access films owned by the Language Center, CSCL, the Smart Learning Commons and the East Asian Library. Instructors who register with the LFLFC will only see those film choices. As other films in the LFLFC are purchased by university departments, they will be added to the options available for university instructors.

Film clips that instructors request are available for up to two weeks. Instructors can "reserve" the same film clip more than once, so it is possible to use a clip several times.

There is a two-step process to access the LFLFC: first apply for an account at the Berkeley site, second, email elsie@umn.edu and request approval of your application. You must register both with Berkeley and with the Language Center. The sooner you sign up, the sooner you can begin easily integrating short film clips into your class!

U of M Libraries Digital Video Collections Guide

A wealth of licensed and open digital resources are available for instructors and students at the University of Minnesota, providing endless opportunities to add authentic content into second language and culture instruction. The Library has helpfully organized a list of streaming sites on their website. Some of these resources, like the Digital Content Library and YouTube may be well-known to instructors, but many others, like Dance in Video, Opera in Video, and the U of M's own Video History Archive may be less explored. One of the largest licensed collections is the Paley Center for Media iCollection for Colleges, which includes over 140,000 titles from 70 countries, and new content is constantly being added.

Updated Language Learning Resource Page

If you are interested in assessing your level of Spanish proficiency on-line, want to know the most commonly used Korean vocabulary, or need a "quick fix" of essential Norwegian holiday phrases, then check out CARLA's newly-updated Language-Specific Content Links Page. This page, compiled by language instructors, contains many links in a variety of languages, including LCTLs like Hebrew, Hmong and Korean. It is useful for instructors and students alike.

Wimba Users: Instructors and Students Need to Enable Java

In the interests of being a good network citizen, keeping Language Center computers safe and secure and safekeeping the data of our users, Java will be turned off in web browsers by default in Language Center classrooms and the Multimedia Lab starting this Fall. Java has proven to be a leading source of security exploits allowing malware to be installed and run in the background. This can occur even without a user clicking on anything and when visiting what might be assumed to be a trusted site like CNN.

We recognize that this will add some extra steps for classes using Wimba activities which need Java to run. Students will need to change a setting in the browser preferences and re-open the browser. The Classroom Support and Multimedia Lab teams are committed to providing excellent customer service and will do everything possible to make this new policy easy for instructors and students; providing training and assistance as needed. Please email elsie@umn.edu if you have questions or feel that your classes will need additional support.

Jones Hall Computer Classrooms - Now on Google Cal

Beginning Fall 2012, Google Cal is the system used to manage all Language Center reservable spaces, including the four classrooms: Jones 10, 15, 30 and 35.

You can view the calendar online at our website. The web view only recently became accessible, and we have found that Firefox and Safari are good browsers for accessing the calendar. Here are some highlights of the move to Google Cal:

• Classrooms are reserved via the Language Center online request form, not directly into Google. The online request form can be used to reserve all Language Center resources, including small rooms, media and equipment.
  • Language instructors and other individuals who schedule rooms will be "invited" to the reservation so that it shows up on their calendar. This will make it easier for instructors to remember when their class meets in a Jones classroom.
  • When classrooms are scheduled by a level coordinator, and the instructor is TBA, no instructors will be invited. Instructors will be added at a later date, once the teaching schedule is posted on Onestop.
  • When a reservation is confirmed, instructors and other individuals who reserve rooms will receive an attached agenda with all upcoming dates at a glance. The agenda will also be available through Google Docs, and will be updated if changes occur later in the semester.
  • Confirmations will be sent from a new email account, lc-staff@umn.edu.The primary departmental account remains elsie@umn.edu.
  • Media and equipment reservations are still managed through FileMaker Pro, not Google Cal.

We now have four DiLL classrooms available for Fall reservation. Here is a reminder of classroom size for each:

• Jones 10 = 30 computers
  • Jones 15 = 28 computers
  • Jones 30 = 29 computers
  • Jones 35 = 24 computers

Learn more about the renovated Jones 35 at Elsie Speaks, or stop by this week for a tour.

New Macbook Airs for Checkout

Our Macbook Air laptops have been much in demand due to their portability, ease of use and quick startup time. We are pleased to announce that we now have five Macbook Airs available for check out. Our older Mac computers have been retired. By Fall semester, we will have a portable CD/DVD drive that can be connected to a Macbook Air.

In addition, we still have five Dell Latitudes available for check out. They are not brand new, but have recently been updated, and have new cases.

Alyssa says goodbye!

Beginning this fall semester, I will no longer be serving the Language Center as the Classroom Support Coordinator.  Instead, I'll be starting a new journey at the University of Minnesota as a full-time ESL instructor in the Minnesota English Language Program (MELP), where I have taught part-time for five years.

While I'm looking forward to my new position in MELP, I will miss working with all of the great second language instructors here at the U of M.  Whether it's helping set up a class blog project or training the Mac DiLL software, I've really enjoyed helping instructors facilitate language learning through the use of technology. It's been really rewarding to be a part of this second language learning community here at the U of M!  

Jenny Boe, the current Office Coordinator, will be stepping in as the Interim Classroom Support Coordinator. In addition, former Classroom Support Assistant Meghan McFadden is now a graduate student, and she will be providing assistance in the morning throughout the month of September. You'll be in good hands with Jenny, Meghan and the student staff in Jones 5.  

Although I won't be helping in the classrooms as I have in the past, I'll certainly remain a frequent user and familiar face in the Language Center classrooms, and I look forward to seeing all of you then!

Alyssa Ruesch

Update on Fall Classroom Reservations

The Language Center office staff appreciate your patience as we continue entering Fall 2012 classroom reservations. We have found that entering them into Google Cal is more labor-intensive than our previous system, and we are continuing to refine our process. We appreciate your feedback on how the new system is working for you.

We also recommend that if you have not yet submitted your Fall requests, you do so soon. Computer classroom demand has increased in recent years, and many Fall dates are already filling up. Please consider requesting rooms on Tuesdays, which is currently our most open day of the week. Fridays are our most requested day, and availability is very limited.

Fall 2012 Classroom Reservations - Now on Google Cal

Beginning with Fall 2012 reservations, the Language Center is moving to Google Cal! Reservations for all our four classrooms (Jones 10, 15, 30 and 35) will be managed on Google Cal. This change will allow us to use a universal scheduling system that is easier to access on multiple platforms. Here are some highlights of this upcoming change:

• Classrooms should be reserved via the Language Center online request form, not directly into Google. The online request form can be used to reserve all Language Center resources, including small rooms, media and equipment.
  • When a reservation is confirmed, instructors and other individuals who reserve rooms will receive an attached agenda with all upcoming dates at a glance. This is the closest equivalent we have to the traditional confirmation PDFs we have sent in the past.
  • Summer 2012 classroom reservations will still be managed on our FileMaker Pro system and instructors who make new reservations for summer will receive the traditional confirmation. Media and equipment reservations will remain on the older system for the time being.
  • We are continuing to work on a new web view of the classrooms, and this will be ready by the start of Fall semester.

We begin accepting classroom reservations for Fall 2012 on July 16, and instructors will start receiving Google Cal invitations and confirmation agendas shortly afterwards. If you are a pioneer who makes Fall 2012 classroom reservations this summer, we would greatly appreciate your feedback, particularly recommendations on how the process could be easier for you. Please email your thoughts to elsie@umn.edu.

Jones 35 Renovation: More Flexibility, More DiLL, No Laptop Fuss

The Language Center staff would like thank all instructors who participated in the recent survey of technology needs. An upgrade planning committee used the results of that survey, along with an examination of our classroom usage statistics, to develop a plan for the renovation of Jones 35. Both the survey and an analysis of our use indicate that the number one technology need is additional classroom space for student audio pairing and recording. Since the MacDiLL software used for most computer-based audio activities only runs on Mac computers, we are planing on replacing the Windows OS laptops with networked, desktop Macs. The layout of the renovated classroom will be more flexible than our existing MacDiLL classrooms, and the room will remain multifunctional.

We are planning to install 24 networked iMac computers around the perimeter of the classroom. The interior of the classroom will be outfitted with tables that can be easily moved to allow for a variety of classroom configurations. Chairs will serve both the perimeter computer workstations as well as the interior tables, leaving enough space for many configurations. This flexible layout will allow the room to be used as both a computer classroom, and as a space for presentations, lectures, and small group work that does not involve computers.

The room will retain videotaping capabilities, and we are investigating options for upgrading the recording equipment.

Our survey indicated that most instructors prefer Macs for classroom use, and a large percentage have no preference. While a smaller percentage of instructors stated a preference for Windows computers, the committee is aware that some instructors have a strong preference for the Windows platform, and we would like to provide the best accommodation possible. All of our Mac classroom computers can fully run the Windows operating system, and the survey results indicated that not all instructors were aware of this possibility. Please contact us if you would like more information on how Windows can run on our iMac computers, or if you have suggestions on what we might do to improve your students' experiences on a dual-booting computer.

We are very excited about this renovation, and look forward to unveiling a brand-new, multifunctional computer lab with lots of layout possibilities, and no laptop fuss, during summer 2012.

Jones 35 upgrade: what technology do you require?

The laptop lab that can be used in Jones 35 is almost four years old, and due for an upgrade. Language Center staff have found that while our three fixed MacDiLL classrooms (Jones 10, 15 and 30) are increasingly in demand, Jones 35 and the laptop lab are under-utilized. We have also received many complaints about the length of time required to set up the laptop lab for classroom use. Therefore, we are considering a new layout for the room that would offer both flexible tables and some fixed computer stations.

Instructors: please help us plan for this upgrade by filling out this short survey of your technology needs and ideas. The survey will be open through Tuesday, January 24, 2012. We appreciate your assistance as we make this important decision

Reserve Films and the DCL

Instructors: If you have films from your personal collection that you would like to share with students, the Language Center will place your films on reserve for students to check out and view in Jones Hall. However, many students find the necessity of viewing the films during business hours restrictive. We strongly encourage you to consider the Digital Content Library (DCL) as an alternative to placing films on reserve in Jones Hall.

In the case of subtitled films, the readability of the digitized version may be insufficient for some students, and in those cases, you may consider both putting the film on reserve, and having it digitized through the DCL.

You can check the DCL catalog and view films at: http://dcl.umn.edu/, and learn more about this service at Elsie Speaks.

Tutorial - Observe, Message and Chat with Apple Remote Desktop

Have you ever asked your students to do a web-based activity in RemoteDesktopIcon.pngthe classroom only to discover later that they were hopelessly lost surfing the web? What if there was a way to quickly glance at all the students computers to see what they were up to? And better yet, what if there was a way to discreetly send students a message to help them get back on track? With Apple Remote Desktop, there is!

CLA Language Center Open House

Tuesday, September 27mmlab.jpg
1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Jones 110

SPY on your students' on-line, in-class work!
GATHER up to 30 students in one high-tech classroom!
SPRAWL OUT on our brand-new comfy lounge furniture!

Come see the newly renovated walk-in Multimedia Lab and digital language labs, and learn more about Language Center services and facilities. Beverages and desserts will be served. Optional tech training and tours will be available.

While you enjoy coffee, cider and cookies, learn more about the following:

• Our completely renovated walk-in Multimedia Lab, Jones 135
  • Our renovated classrooms, Jones 10 and 30
  • New LPEs for critical and popular less commonly taught languages
  • And more!

Make sure your Fall 2011 course films are digitized

The easiest way to assign students to watch films in your classes is to have them digitized through the Digital Content Library (DCL). If you have not already verified that the films you will use this Fall have been digitized, now is a great time to check.

You can look search for films at the DCL website: http://dcl.umn.edu/. You can also search the Language Center database: https://filemaker.cla.umn.edu/LangCtr/findrecords.php. Any films in our collection that have already been digitized will have a direct link to the DCL.

We strongly recommend that any films available only in a foreign standard VHS tape be digitized (e.g. PAL, Secam), as there are few multistandard VCRs left on campus.

You can send requests for digitization to elsie@umn.edu. Please make sure to indicate when the film is needed for your class. The DCL requests as much lead time as possible to complete their work.

Jones 10 Classroom Renovation Complete!

LC Classroom Support Coordinator

The Language Center Technical Team is very happy to announce that the Jones 10 Classroom will be back in service starting Thursday, August 4th! This classroom has been unavailable this summer while undergoing a number of major updates.

The first thing those familiar with the old Jones 10 will notice is that the old booths are gone! They have been replaced with tables arranged in a new open layout. This new layout places four tables in the center of the room with additional tables on the perimeter; accommodates 30 student computers (an upgrade from 24) and still appears spacious.

Jones 10 Classroom

The computers in the room have been replaced with new 20" iMac computers. Networking has been upgraded to provide service to the new computers as well as a new wireless access point which will improve wireless connection for mobile devices.

A new instructor desk has been installed. It has room for a document camera, controls for the data projector, easy connection for a laptop, zone-free DVD player, multi-standard VCR and shelf space where you can find the handy guide to the equipment located in the classroom.

As before, the MacDiLL audio lab software is available which provides an intuitive interface for instructors to pair students in conversation. Audio recordings can be easily saved by the instructor and listened to at any computer via a web interface.

And yes, the intercom is still active, as always, access to technical assistance is only a button push away!

Fall 2011 Reservations, Classroom Renovations

The Language Center will begin entering Fall semester reservations on Friday, July 15. You may submit reservation requests before that date, and they will be held until July 15. To have the best possibility of receiving the rooms and equipment you need, please submit by 9:00 AM on that day.

We are pleased to announce that beginning Fall semester, we will offer three digital language lab classrooms with an open layout that will accommodate a minimum of 28 students. Over the summer, Jones 10 is being completely renovated and Jones 30 is being partially renovated to add additional student stations. Jones 15 was renovated last summer.

The total number of student computers available effective Fall 2011 are:

• Jones 10: 30 stations

• Jones 15: 28 stations

• Jones 30: 29 stations

• Jones 35: 24 laptop computers (we may be able to add additional checkout computers upon request)

Here is some additional information about requesting rooms:

• Advance reservations always require a reservation form.

See http://languagecenter.cla.umn.edu/in_reservations.html for details on policy, and to make an online reservation request.

Main Office and Classroom Summer Hours

During the General Summer Session (June 13 - August 19)
our Classroom Support and Main Office hours are:

Monday - Wednesday: 8:00 - 5:30 pm
Thursday: 8:00 - 7:30 pm
Friday: 8:00 - 4:30 pm

Our walk-in Multimedia Lab remains closed for renovation.

Please email elsie@umn.edu if you have any questions or concerns about our hours.

Rosetta Stone and Mac DiLL Server shutdown, Sunday June 12.

The Language Center will be shutting down the Rosetta Stone and MacDiLL Servers beginning at 2am on Sunday, June 12 through Monday morning, June 13. The servers will be shutdown due to a planned power outage for Jones and Williamson Halls by University Energy Management so they can perform electrical upgrades on Sunday.

Instructors will not be able to access MacDiLL recordings during this shutdown, nor will they be able to access Rosetta Stone. Access to MacDiLL recordings and Rosetta Stone will be available again on Monday morning, June 13.

If you have any questions, please contact the Language Center at elsie@umn.edu

Renovation of Jones 30 Partially Complete

Two computer classrooms Jones 10 and Jones 30 are being renovated this summer. Jones 10 is closed until late summer, when it will reopen with a new, open layout, and accommodate 30 students. Jones 30 has been partially renovated, and is currently available for use with 26 student computers. Work will continue later this summer to finalize upgrades to accommodate 29 students.

May Session Hours

During May Session - May 23 - June 10, the Language Center Main Office and Classrooms will be open Monday - Friday from 7:45 AM - 4:30 PM. Due to reduced classroom support staff during May Session, we appreciate reservations for classrooms being made as far in advance as possible. The Multimedia Lab (Jones 135) will remain closed until Fall.

Language Center summer reservations accepted April 15

The Language Center will begin entering general Summer Session reservations on April 15. You may submit reservation requests before that date, and they will be held until April 15. To have the best possibility of receiving the rooms and equipment you need, please submit by 9:00 AM, April 15.

Jones 10 and 30 will each be unavailable for part of the summer, as the classrooms are are both being renovated.

LC classrooms will be available at the following times over the summer:

May Session (May 23 - June 10)
Monday - Friday: 8:00 - 4:30 pm

Summer Session: General (June 13 - August 19)
Monday - Wednesday: 8:00 - 5:30 pm
Thursday: 8:00 - 7:30 pm
Friday: 8:00 - 4:30 pm

Summer Session: Late (August 22 - August 26)
Monday - Friday: 8:00 - 4:30 PM

Software on Language Center Classroom and Lab Computers

Do you sometimes wonder why students and teachers use the computers in Jones rather than their home computers? What software and tools do these computers have that yours might not? Beyond obvious answers such as "big headphones and an external microphone for recording my voice," the classrooms (Rooms 10, 15, 30 and 35) and Multimedia Lab (Room 135) in the Language Center offer software programs for both novice and expert users that can be used for practicing particular language skills or developing multi-media class projects. These programs are updated and maintained by Language Center staff, so you always know you are working with current, (nearly) bug-free versions of the latest or tried-and-true software! If your students start a project in a Jones classroom, but don't have time to finish it during the class period, they can go upstairs to the Multimedia Lab and find the same software and tools needed to complete their projects.

Here's a sampling of what you'll find on our computers:

• Sound editors such as Audacity or Garageband -- record your voice, and/or analyze and edit a voice or music clip. (Great for creating soundtracks, too!)

• Video editors and converters such as Mpeg Streamclip, Handbrake, Windows MovieMaker and iMovie -- create, edit, and convert a movie to different formats.

• Vocabulary and pronunciation trainers like ProVoc and Praat -- for more in-depth second-language vocabulary and pronunciation analysis.

• Screen capture through Camtasia Relay -- record what you're doing on-screen, as you're doing it -- great for creating an instructional video.

For a complete list of installed software, see our new page on the LC website.

If you want to request additional software to be installed on Language Center classroom or lab computers, please fill out a Software Installation Request and bring the form, software and licensing information to our main office, 110 Jones Hall.

Two MacBook Air Laptops Now Available

The Language Center now has two very portable, lightweight laptops available for instructor checkout. They have excellent battery life, and project easily. You can reserve MacBook Air laptops and other equipment at http://languagecenter.cla.umn.edu/onlineReserve.php

The DCL: Planning ahead for media-rich courses

CLA language instructors: The Digital Content Library (DCL) is an efficient way to share films with your students. The DCL is pleased to digitize films, but as their services are growing in popularity, they would greatly appreciate as lead time as possible. The Language Center can help by submitting content to the DCL on behalf of language instructors. When planning classes that are media-rich, please contact your departmental liaison or email elsie@umn.edu to discuss your needs.

Beverages with lids now okay in all LC spaces

Beginning Spring 2011, beverages with lids or other covers will be permitted in all LC spaces, including classrooms, small rooms and the Multimedia Lab. Open beverages and food are still prohibited. Keep a lid on your coffee and water, and bring it with you.

Flat-screen viewing area

Interested in having students view a rare film in your language of study, but don't have the class time? Reserve the movie from the Language Center main office, and recommend students watch it with small groups in Jones 135B, where they can enjoy privacy and high definition viewing on our large flat-screen TV.

135B_sm.jpg

Remind your students that Jones Room 135B is great for group work. Students can view movies at the same time, work on their projects together rather than individually at different computers, and talk freely. This room is also equipped with a Mac and PC, and a digital Marantz recorder.

From the Director, Fall 2010

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for DanSoneson-1.jpg
As students repopulate our campus with the onset of a new semester, the Language Center continues to evolve to support the teaching and learning of languages at the University. As you walk through Jones Hall, you will notice quite a bit of activity and some significant changes this semester.

A New Classroom

In response to increasing class sizes we have remodeled Jones 15. We have replaced the rows of booths with a more open floor plan, placing tables along the perimeter of the room and two islands of tables in the center. We have effectively divided the space into quadrants. This way, we can accommodate up to 28 students simultaneously, working individually on brand new iMac computers, or convening either in small groups or four medium groups to work collaboratively on tasks. In addition to the new floor plan, we have also installed a new instructor desk that includes the standard equipment - iMac computer with MacDiLL software, video and audio players, as well as a document camera. In design, the remodeled classroom resembles our most popular classroom, Jones 30, with its open and accessible floor plan. Please come by to take a look and book your class in the new space. Let us know what you think!

TandemPlus / Multimedia Lab Coordinator

We also welcome a new staff member this semester. Kate Clements has joined us to serve as both the Coordinator for the Multimedia Lab (Jones 135) as well as the Coordinator for the TandemPlus program. Kate is no stranger to the technology available at the University and in the Language Center. While earning an MA in the ESL program here at the University, she served as the IT Fellow for the Department of Spanish and Portuguese. In addition to assisting individual instructors, she spearheaded the transition of Spanish language courses from WebCT Vista to the Moodle course management system. Since receiving her degree, she has taught in the Minnesota English Language Program, often meeting with her classes in the computer classrooms in Jones Hall. She has shared some of her experiences with technology by presenting several workshops in the Language Center's iTeach workshop series. Her involvement with the TandemPlus program includes participating as a student with a native Spanish speaker in the Face-to-Face program, as well as recommending her students in the MELP program to participate in order to develop their English conversational skills. We are delighted to have Kate with us. Please welcome her to the Language Center.

Testing Program Grant

Our Testing program has received funding as a part of the Title VI grant administered by the Institute for Global Studies to develop new Language Proficiency Tests. Overseen by Monica Frahm, the project is directed by Gabriela Sweet who brings many years of test development and administration to the task. Their group is in the process of developing test items for Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and a second exam in Spanish. Temporarily located in Jones 110F, they are working at a fever pitch to produce these materials by the middle of November.

CLA-OIT Support

The CLA IT Fellows program has also undergone changes this fall. While previously the program provided up to 20 graduate fellows who were assigned to specific departments to help instructors with technology issues, the program will now rely on 15 undergraduate students to perform work such as developing Moodle sites for courses and working with multimedia. Instructors will work directly with 5 graduate students to develop concepts, who will then pass on the construction responsibilities to the undergraduate students. All language departments and the Language Center will be served by one person now, and we are extremely fortunate that the program has hired Lindsey Lahr to be the contact person for our area. Lindsey has been the IT Fellow for the Language Center and the Department of Asian Languages and Literature for the past two years. She has been working in our Development Studio in Jones 127 and helping instructors to digitize a variety of media as well as to make and edit professional level audio recordings. She will now work through the CLA-OIT office. If you have a request for Lindsey, the best way to contact her is through the CLA Help Desk. You can send an email to help@cla.umn.edu or call 4-HELP.

As the relatively new Director of the Language Center I am delighted to be working here at the University of Minnesota with such a dedicated staff and with such excellent facilities and support. Our mission is to promote and support the teaching and learning of world languages. Technology is an excellent tool to accomplish this mission. Our state-of-the-art facilities and equipment provide both access to information as well as tools to help students complete interesting and engaging multimedia projects. Our staff is extremely knowledgable about the possibilities of technology and continues to explore a wide variety of emerging technological applications that connect students with authentic materials and cultures, and with speakers of the languages that students are learning. We support students and instructors with technology assistance, and we also serve as a place for exploring the nature of language and second language acquisition itself. I encourage you to take advantage of the opportunities that the Language Center offers.

Wishing you all the best for a successful and productive fall semester,

Dan Soneson

Language Center Classrooms - Policies and Tips

The following policies and tips will help keep your second-language class running smoothly.

When using a Language Center classroom, please remember:

• No food or drink allowed!

• Please keep audio volume in your classrooms at reasonable levels.

• Please collect your materials at the end of class. The Lost and Found is upstairs in the Main Office Jones 110.

• All classroom activities may be monitored: Rooms 30 & 35 can be videotaped, Apple Remote Desktop software used to maintain the Mac computers can remotely display classroom desktops from Rooms 10, 15 and 30

• If you cannot attend your reservation, please notify the LC of your cancellation. Repeat no-shows maybe negatively impact your ability to reserve rooms in the future.

Saving Files - All files are deleted nightly!
Keep in mind that all Language Center classroom and lab computers are public computers and that all files may be viewed, edited or deleted by other users. For this reason, and for your protection, we delete all files at the end of each day. There are two places where you can temporarily save your files while you work:
Local_Save: Files saved here are only accessible from the computer at which you work.
LC-Server: Files saved here are accessible from most computers in the Language Center.

**We highly encourage you and your students to use external media such as a USB flash drive or networked storage space like Netfiles to save your files.

Printing

• Printing is available for in-class activities in all of the classrooms. Prints will be sent to a printer in Room 5.

• Printing is only allowed for in-class activities

• Does NOT include class handouts and student essays written before class.

• Printing is limited to 3 pages per student per class session.

• Instructors must pick up all prints from Room 5. Students are not allowed to pick up prints from Room 5.

• Note that if you are printing from the Laptop Lab, you will first need to connect to the Internet.

Videotaping
The Language Center can video record classes onto VHS tapes, DVD+R or DVD-R discs. Instructors must provide their own media for the recording.

If the video recording will be shown publicly after the class or presentation, all video recorded participants should grant permission for the recording. Participants can grant permission by completing the Videotaping Permission Form found at: http://languagecenter.cla.umn.edu/downloads/lcforms/videoPermission.pdf

Software Installation Requests
All classrooms include the following software: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Audacity, Hot Potatoes, and Firefox. In addition to these programs, the three Mac Classrooms (10, 15 and 30) include: Mac DiLL, Safari, iLife (iMovie, PhotoBooth, GarageBand) and Parallels for operating Windows on a Mac.

If you need a special program or a plug-in installed prior to your class, you will need to complete a software installation request form. Download from:
http://languagecenter.cla.umn.edu/downloads/lcforms/swinstall.pdf

Please be aware that:

• We require at least 2 weeks notice prior to installation.

• We cannot make copies of copyrighted material without express written consent of the copyright owner. You are responsible for showing proof of licensing appropriate for the number of installations requested.

• We reserve the right to not install software that is incompatible with our systems or may pose a threat to our equipment or users.

• You are responsible for arranging a time to test the installed software to ensure that it meets your specific classroom needs.

Training
The more comfortable you are with technology, the smoother your classes will go. For individual or small-group hands-on training, complete an online reservation request form for the room you are using and indicate on the form that you would like training. If you have questions about how much training you need, contact Alyssa Ruesch rues0022@umn.edu

For more information on how to use the software installed in the Language Center classrooms, such as the Mac DiLL or Apple Remote Desktop, check out our online guides at http://jonesclassroomguides.pbworks.com

The Language Center sponsors a variety of presentations and hands-on workshops on how to make effective use of technology in the classroom. For a list of upcoming events, see http://iteachworkshop.pbworks.com

Consider subscribing to this blog for Language Center related updates and tips on how to make effective use of technology.

Classroom Reservations
To use Language Center classrooms, you must intend to use technology. To make a reservation, go to http://languagecenter.cla.umn.edu/reserve

The Digital Content Library: The U of M's answer to YouTube

What do the Human Language Series, an esteemed linguistics instructional series, and Skärgårdsdoktorn, a popular Swedish medical drama have in common? They are both protected and shared through the Digital Content Library (DCL) at http://dcl.umn.edu/.

The DCL is a combined resource of the College of Liberal Arts (CLA) and the College of Design (CDes). It offers media in multiple forms, including video. This digital video is password protected and available only to U of M students, faculty and staff.

The video available through the DCL is of average quality, equivalent to clips on YouTube. It may not be the best choice for showing a full-length film in class, but it's an excellent resource for sharing shorter clips in class, or allowing students to watch entire films at home.

By request, almost any item in the Language Center video library can be digitized for instructional purposes. Currently, over 125 films in the Language Center film library have been digitized, some in their entirety, and some only select clips. You can search for films on our website at http://filemaker.cla.umn.edu/LangCtr/findrecords.php. If the film is available through the DCL, there will be a link at the bottom of the item detail page.

As a bonus, the DCL has given us DVD copies of VHS tapes that have been digitized. As part of the digitizing process for tapes, the DCL must make a DVD first. We have been given permission to circulate these DVD copies, and many VHS tapes have been archived and replaced with DVDs in our library. The DVDs are of no better quality than their VHS originals, and they lack standard DVD menus, although they do have chapters set approximately every ten minutes. When these DVD copies have been put into circulation, the original VHS tape is no longer available for check out.

Circulating these burned DVDs is a good option for films that are not commercially available in the United States. However, whenever possible, we strongly recommend that instructors purchase films on DVD instead of relying on a DVD copy of a VHS tape. The quality of a purchased DVD is far superior to a copy of a tape, and purchasing the standard format when available (currently DVD) will help us stay within the spirit of copyright protection.

If you have never visited the DCL, you should definitely check it out at http://dcl.umn.edu/. You'll be amazed at the wealth of materials available for you and your students.

Mac DiLL FAQs

Do you have a question about using the Mac DiLL? Skim below to see if you we've already answered it. If you don't see your question, please leave it in the comments section. We'll add it to this list right away!

If you'd like training on how to use the Mac DiLL, please make a reservation in one of the classrooms and indicate that you want training. Or, you can contact Alyssa Ruesch for help.

FAQ 1 - Recording student voices
Question: How do students record their voices on the Mac DiLL?

Answer:
In order for your students to record their voices, they must first be assigned a "New Task" (choose "without a lesson, recording-only" or "with a lesson from the catalog"). For more information on how to assign tasks, see pages 9 - 12 in the Mac DiLL Teacher's Guide.

FAQ 2 - Recording pairs or groups of students
Question: If I pair my students, will the Mac DiLL record both of their voices or just one?

Answer: When you pair students and give them a recording task, the Mac DiLL will record both of the student voices. It is usually better to ask both students in the pair to record - better safe than sorry! In test situations, some students get nervous and forget to hit the record button. If both students are asked to record the conversation, then there will always be a back-up.

FAQ 3 - Repeat after me!
Question: I want all of my students to repeat after me and record their voice. How do I do this?

Answer: You'll need to do a Synchronized Activity. Be sure to enable the external microphone so that your students can hear your voice. Then, hit the record button while your students respond. For information on how to set-up a Synchronized Activity, see the Mac DiLL Teacher's guide, page 13.
*Hint - If you are asking your students a series of questions, you may want to start and stop the record button for each question. This will create a new track for each answer and help to make grading a snap. Instead of fast forwarding to the responses, you can go directly to the specific question you want to grade.

FAQ 4 - Saving student recordings
Question: How do students save their recordings?

Answer:
This is the beauty of the Mac DiLL! Students don't have to do anything to save their recordings! When you assign a recording-activity, just be sure that the "Save student recordings" option is checked (it is by default). For more information, see the Mac DiLL Teachers' Guide, pages 9 - 12.

FAQ 5 - Accessing student recordings

Question: How do instructors access student recordings?

Answer:
It's easy as pie! Just go to the Language Center's Mac DiLL server and log-in with your x500 and password. Voila! All your students' recordings are available for your listening pleasure.

For more information on how to download the files as Mp3s, see FAQ 6, or our blog post on Sharing Mac DiLL audio recordings with students.

FAQ 6 - Downloading student audio files
Question: Is there a way to download the student audio files from the instructor log-in page? For instance, I'd like to have the mp3 files burned to a CD or put on an mp3 player so I don't have to be tethered to my computer while I grade.

Answer: Yes! You can download the student audio files as mp3 files by following these steps:

1. Login to the Language Center's Mac DiLL server at:
http://lcdill.cla.umn.edu
2. Locate the recordings you would like to save as mp3s.
3. Click on "Archive Task to ZIP File". This will create a ZIP file that includes all of your students' mp3 files, labeled by students name or x500. You will access this ZIP file via a web link.
a. Select a name for the files from the pulldown menu (shortname = x500)
b. Provide a description of the activity. This will be the name of the folder containing all of the mp3 files.
c. Provide an email address where the link to the ZIP file will be sent.
4. Click on the web link to download the ZIP file.
5. Unzip the file.

You now have a folder containing all of your students' mp3 files. You can save these files to your hard-drive, copy them to a CD or put them on an mp3 player. The choice is all yours!

FAQ 7 - Student access to audio files outside of class
Question: Can students listen to the audio files they created during class when they get home?

Answer:
The short answer to this question is no, students are not able to listen to their files directly from the Mac DiLL server. If students want to listen to in-class recordings outside of class, you will need to download the files (see FAQ 6, above) and send the mp3s to the student. For instructions on how to do this pretty easily in any of the Jones Classrooms, see our blog post Sharing Mac DiLL audio recordings with students.

FAQ 8 - Sharing files with other instructors

Question: I'm subbing for another instructor and need to get the audio files to him so that he can grade them. How can I share the audio files with the other instructor?

Answer:
First, whatever you do, DO NOT give the other instructor your x500 and password so they can access the files. Bad idea!! Instead, follow the steps outlined in FAQ 6 and insert the other instructor's email address in the email field. This will send the download link to the other instructor. The other instructor can not get into your account, but they can download the files from the link you sent them after Archiving the Tasks. Remember to keep student privacy policies in mind whenever you share files with another instructor.

Sharing Mac DiLL audio recordings with students

Instructors often ask us, "How can students access the files recorded using the Mac DiLL?" Unfortunately, there isn't a way for students to log-in to the Mac DiLL server and access their recordings. But, with a few simple steps, instructors can download student recordings using the Archive Task to ZIP File function on the Mac DiLL server website, copy the files to the LC_Server drive on the Macs in the classrooms, and then let students save their files to their own flash drives or to their Netfiles accounts.

First log-in to the DiLL website at https://lcdill.cla.umn.edu/ and find the recordings you'd like to share under Recording-Only Activities or Synchronized Activities.

Click on Archive Task to ZIP, at the top of the screen.
archive_icon.png

Then, name your file using one of the options from the pull-down menu (shortname.mp3, last name.mp3, etc). This names each .mp3 file according to each student log-in name.
Type in a name for the Activity so that it is easier to find it after it downloads.
Type in your email address in the email field; a link to the zip file will be sent to your email address.
Click Create ZIP Archive.
archive_howto.png

Wait for the files to process. A weblink will appear with a ZIP file containing all of your students' recordings.
archive.png

Click on this link to download the files to your computer. In the Mac classrooms, the ZIP file will automatically download to the Local_Save drive.
Localsaveicon.png

Open the Local_Save drive and double click on the ZIP file to unzip the files. A new folder will appear with all of your students' .mp3 files.
Local_save.png

Copy this folder to the LC_Server drive.
LCservericon.png
LC_Server.png

Your students can copy their individual recordings to a flash drive or to their Netfiles accounts. Keep in mind that with this process, any student could listen to another student's recording. So, if privacy is a concern, you'll want to avoid using the LC_Server as a means for sharing because it is viewable from all computers in the Language Center. Instead, you could email files to individual students, or use Netfiles to securely share student audio recordings.

Help! Students can't access the Moodle site!

It's the first day you've brought your students to class and for whatever reason, they aren't able to access your course Moodle site through their MyU portals. Frustrating.

One reason your students might not be able to access the site is because the site was not made available to them through the administration settings in the course site. Another reason could be that the student isn't yet officially enrolled in the class. And finally, it could be that MyU hasn't connected with the Moodle servers, resulting in the frustrating glitch you endure in class.

Whatever the reason, there's still hope for students to access the course website, even if they can't get to it from MyU. Here's how:

Before class:
Make the course site available to students.
1. Click on Settings under the Administration tab (left side of screen).
moodle_admin.png

2. Scroll down to Availability.
3. Select "This course is available for students".
moodle_avail.png
4. Assign an Enrollment Key.
Highlight the information in the Enrollment Key field and delete it. Then, type in an Enrollment Key for the course. In the example above, I used elsie_iteach. Remember this key - you may need to give it to students later.

During class:
If students can't access the course through MyU, instruct your students to:
1. Go to moodle.umn.edu
2. Login with x500
3. The class should appear under the My Courses heading. Select it.
4. If class does not show under the My Courses menu, type the course name in the Search field (students may need to scroll down a bit).
moodle_search.png
5. Click on the link provided to enter the course.
6. If the following message appears, instruct students to type in the key you entered above (in this case, elsie_iteach) and click "Enroll me in this Course".
moodle_enter.png

Once your students are enrolled in your course, they should be able to see the course anytime they go to moodle.umn.edu

For more answers to your questions about Moodle, contact moodle@umn.edu

Thanks to Kate Clements, MELP for helping with this post.

Summer brings upgrades to Jones 10 Classroom!

jones10_insDesk.jpgDuring the months of June and July, the Language Center technical staff has been busy upgrading the LC classroom, Jones 10. The old ASC language lab hardware and PC computers have been torn out and replaced with new iMac computers with the capability of using the Mac DiLL language lab software.

A new 16 x 9 aspect ratio lcd projector has been installed, along with a new keypad to control the projector and select inputs -- computer, multi-zone DVD, multi-standard VCR or document camera. Oh yes, a new document camera has been installed to replace the old overhead projector. Another feature is a handy pocket on the instructor's desk making for easy connection of a personal laptop.

With the conversion of Jones 10, the Language Center now has three classrooms that make use of the Mac DiLL language lab software. Wimba activities can also be scheduled in these three classrooms. Although the computers in these three classrooms are Macs, they all have Parallels installed which allows for simultaneous use of a Windows operating system. (We're still at old reliable Windows XP.)

The Language Center also has a laptop lab cart of 25 Dell laptops which can be reserved and used in Jones 35 Media Classroom. For more information or assistance with the Jones classrooms please contact our Classroom Coordinator, Alyssa Ruesch.

Go to the CLA home page.

Twin Cities Campus: