Welcome

I created a blog for us to share ideas as we prepare for the conference. Mostly, having this blog will allow us a very efficient way share ideas and plan our program. We will also have an immediate archive of our discussions.

Please keep in mind that this blog is on the web and is therefore viewable by anyone who stumbles upon it. I say "stumbles" because it is not linked to any site and one would have to enter just the right terms in Google or go browsing on the UThink site (the directory of University of Minnesota blogs) to get to it.

I am posting the message I sent out today below with some additions suggested by Ann Hemmens. If you have not already sent a response, please comment on the blog. It will be nice to have everyone’s ideas in one place.

Message sent via email on 3/23/05:

Thanks again to everyone for agreeing to be part of our program “Realizing Visions and Valuing History: 20 years of the Standing Committee for Lesbian and Gay Issues.”
I have had questions from a couple of people about how the program will work and I hope this message addresses those concerns. If not, let me know and I will do my best to clarify.
Originally (as you can see from the attached program proposal), I saw this as a very casual discussion among friends gathered to reminisce about their experience. While I still have that vision, I realize that to make this program a success, some forethought is always (in the words of Martha) “a good thing.”
Since we only have an hour, I think the best way use the time effectively is to break out the history into parts. I’d like help determining the people best for each part.
Below is a possible structure. It is off the top of my head and will benefit from your input. Please consider it a place to start and fell free to offer any ideas.

1. The beginning:
• Who had the vision for and what led to the formation of SCLGI?
• What was the climate in AALL in 1985?
• What was happening informally for the L&G folks who attended the annual meeting? (e.g. parties, dinners)
• Why was a standing committee formed? (not an SIS or AALL committee)
• What had to be done to get the group started?
2. SCLGI accomplishments/bright moments/challenges:
• The resolutions
• The programs
• The receptions
More from Ann:
• "Sexual Orientation and the Law: A Selective Bibliography on Homosexuality and the Law 1969-1993," was published in volume 86 of Law Library Journal in 1994.
• who was Alan Holoch and why a Holoch Fund and Grant?
• a generic question for folks: over the past 20 years how has AALL benefited from the existence of the SC (more open? inclusive? aware?) How has the SC contributed to the betterment/improvement of AALL?

3. Looking to the future (this part could be saved for the Q &A):
• How has the purpose of SCLGI changed and what is needed now?
• Is a standing committee of SR-SIS still where the AALL LGBT folks should be?
• What are issues the SCLGI should be addressing in the next few years?
• What are the long term gains we should be striving for?

Please let me know your thoughts. Specifically, I would love to hear in which part of the program you would most like to speak. If I haven’t identified a key issue you would like to talk about, please let me know. Also, please feel free to suggest which of the other members would be best to speak on the particulars listed above or on any other issue you want addressed.

I apologize for being vague, but truthfully, I am the newbie and you are the veterans. I suggested this program largely because I know several of us newer to SCLGI and AALL want to hear this story. How it is told is up to you.

Message sent via email on 3/23/05:

1. The beginning:
• What was the climate in AALL in 1985?
• The resolutions
• The programs
• The receptions
More from Ann Hemmens:

Panel Members:
Carol Alpert
Lolly Gasaway
Albert Brecht
George Jackson
Camille Broussard
Ann Pucket
Maryilyn Nicely
Scott Pagel

Thanks for getting back to me and I am truly grateful to be working on this program with you!

Cheers,
Elvira

Posted by embs0001 at March 23, 2005 3:24 PM