Millennium Development Goals Presentations

While I watched as the honors students presented their projects I realized that each presentation tended to fit into one of two categories. There were the presentations that focused more on the aspect of explaining the current situation in depth and then there were the projects that went more in detail about a specific solution that could be used to reach the goal.
I liked the projects that focused more on a solution because I feel like that's what this entire research project was about. It was nice to hear the other projects that focused on the problem more, but I don't think they fully understood what the project criteria was.

The two honors presentations that I found to be the most interesting and the ones that I liked the most were the two that focused on goal 1: eradicate extreme poverty and hunger and goal 7: ensure environmental sustainability.

I really enjoyed listening to the presentation about goal 1 because that was the goal that my group worked on and it was interesting to see how our projects compared. The honors group focused their research in Africa where as the group that I am a part of decided to focus our research on a Haiti, which is closer to home. I noticed many similarities in the two presentations so it was easy to follow along and learn from.

I also enjoyed hearing about the presentation on goal 7 because the group decided to focus on an area that's in our own backyard. It's always beneficial to hear about issues that affect the people living around you because then you can relate to what is going on instead of forgetting about the issue as you would when thinking about a country that you don't know a lot about. It puts things into perspective when issues that affect you are discussed. It makes you want to take more action.

So, I think the best way to describe my experience with this entire project would be to say that it was quite interesting. From the time we were assigned our groups to the end where we presented our research; I found the whole process to be very interesting, neither in a bad way or a good way. I definitely learned a lot of valuable information about the world that I live in, but I think there are many other things that would have been a little more beneficial to me as a student instead of a huge project that took the entire semester to finish.

Cover Page Ideas

So, when we got this blog assignment I thought it was going to be extremely fun and exciting because I love being creative when it comes to laying information out on a page. The only thing is that I am horrible when it comes to computer programs that make tasks like this look good. All I could think to use was word, which is why these layouts are quite simple. A positive aspect about their simplicity, though, is that they get to the point by representing what the real problem is when it comes to extreme poverty and hunger.

I'm sure if I were allowed a little more time to draw or collage some cover pages they would be WAY better.

These will have to do for the time being...
Download file
Download file
Download file

Documentation Styles

So there are many ways to document our information about our projects...
Here are a few links to some websites that document information about hunger and starvation in Haiti, which happens to be my group's topic of research.

Websites

http://www.wehaitians.com/the%2014%20aftermath.html

Blogs

http://theburts.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/just-like-us/

http://pwojeespwa.blogspot.com/

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIe0wb4sRw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvKWCDNNWE&feature=related

That's all I have for this entry...
HAVE A GOOD BREAK!

snoitisoppo

How does the built environment affect me?

I find that the oppositions within the built environment fascinate and affect me the most. When discussing each of the oppositions one must use their creativity in a productive way to oppose the opposition. DUH!
Each of the oppositions affect me by making me think… That’s an affect isn’t it? It’s crazy to see a built environment that tackles one of the six oppositions because it makes me question so many aspects of the environment. Who interacts in this built environment? What is the significance of this space? When is this environment utilized? How in the world was this created? Why didn’t I think of that?

I do admit that some frustration occurs as I ask myself the last question, which can create a negative affect.

Anyway, here are some pictures that demonstrate how a built environment evokes each of these questions...

house 2.jpg

house.jpg

house 3.png

house 4.jpg

While looking at each of these images I find it fascinating to answer all of the questions stated above. Whether each of the images is real or imaginary, the thought that is provoked by each is what is important. Each of the images gets me to think in a way that the others can't. Each, with its different approach to tackling the oppositions, affects me in a different way. What better way to learn about the built environment?

Learn to Teach, Teach to Learn

If I were to be completely released from the constraints of the architecture school program my life would consist of two main activities that would probably take up the majority of the rest of my life. First I would travel around the world in search of examples as to how Americans can help save our Earth by examining the way other countries deal with certain issues. At that point I would stop for a bathroom break, maybe get something to eat. Then I would return to America and introduce my findings to some of my most favorite people; kids. They are the ones that will take over the world when we're gone, so why not give them a little nudge in the right direction?

Fact #1: Our planet is very sick.
Fact #2: I LOVE KIDS!
So why not combine the two and call it a life?

There is very little controversy when it comes to the issues that are discussed about the sickness of our planet. Americans deal with countless issues each day, so why not learn from others with the goal of reducing our ecological footprint in mind.

Look at how well the Chinese cut back on car polution... ding ding ding! I sense some learning taking place!
beijing-bicycle1.jpg

Here are some fun (or not so fun) facts to get your brain moving:
-Americans make up only 4% of the World's population yet we consume nearly 26% of its resources.
-Americans spend more annually on the purchase of garbage bags than the combined GDP of 90 of the World's developing nations.
Why do these facts not surprise me…?

Americans have a lot to learn about the ways we live, which is why I would love to be a part of the learning process in an attempt to nurture our Earth back to health.
sick-earth[1].JPG

How fun would it be to travel around the world?
I’ll even let you come… but only if you’re nice.

earth in hand.jpg

facts from http://www.campaignearth.org/solutions_ce.asp

Why Wait When Time Falls Away?

Our world faces countless problems every day; so why do we keep WAITING ON THE WORLD TO CHANGE?

Africa.jpg

When I think about poverty and starvation I immediately think of Africa. It is very common to hear stories or see pictures African people barely clinging to life. I’ll be the first to admit that I have changed the channel when I saw a commercial advertising an opportunity to save the life of an African child in need for just eight cents a day. Maybe I can’t stand seeing the pictures of all of the children in need because I feel bad for them, or a feel guilty about the way I live my life. Or maybe it’s because I don’t think my contribution would make a difference. I’m sure I’m not the only one to have done this, which makes me realize that IT'S NOT THAT WE DON'T CARE, WE JUST KNOW THAT THE FIGHT AIN'T FAIR. So how do we restrain such a huge issue that is staring us directly in the face?

Gandhi has been quoted for saying, “you must be the change you want to see in the world.? So, where do we begin? I believe that the best way to overcome a situation is to hit it head on with what we know now and to educate the children that will be given the opportunity to tackle the problems that the world faces when we’re gone; poverty and starvation being two of the many. ONE DAY OUR GENERATION IS GOING TO RULE THE POPULATION so we must make it a priority to HEAL THE WORLD and MAKE IT A BETTER PLACE. It may seem like a lot to overcome, but THERE ARE WAYS TO GET THERE IF WE CARE ENOUGH FOR THE LIVING.

CAN EVERYONE AGREE THAT NO ONE SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE? I believe the answer to this is yes, so when addressing the issue of poverty and starvation let us not dwell on the severity of the issue, but LET'S SEE HOW FAR WE'VE COME thus far, and let’s go above and beyond what we have already accomplished. OUR LIVES ARE MADE IN THESE SMALL HOURS, so let’s show how much we care and make a difference while we can. In the words of Mother Teresa, “We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.?

porridge.jpg

songs used for this entry:
John Mayer - Waiting on the World to Change
Matchbox 20 - How Far We've Come
Michael Jackson - Heal the World
Rob Thomas - Little Wonders
Filter - Take a Picture

Faulty Design

With the 35W Bridge collapse happening in the University of Minnesota’s backyard it’s hard to ignore the impact of a tragedy that could have been prevented.

minnesota_bridge.jpg

I remember being paranoid for a while after hearing about and seeing the aftermath of a tragic social design issue that ended in a way no one ever would have imagined. One of the biggest questions that circulated conversations around the world was the question of how this could have been prevented. Why does it take a tragedy like this to open peoples’ eyes to the danger that surrounds countless numbers of people every day? A Minnesota bridge warning was issued in 1990 indicating what bridges throughout Minnesota posed threats to the people that used them; the 35W Bridge being one of them. Why wasn’t anything done? What other priorities take precedence over faulty bridges that take more than fifteen years to solve?

Continue reading "Faulty Design" »

1. The City

As Andy Goldsworthy said, “time is a great teacher.?

In regards to a city, every day brings a new transformation. When imagining a city, some may commonly thinks of businesses, crowds, traffic, and noise; while many others think of leisure, recreation, and excitement. Whichever way the city is seen by a single person, it is constantly changing. New ideas flow in each day while old ones flow out. New employees are hired while others are fired. These occurrences help one understand the energy, flow and transformation of the city, which happens all around us every day.
As stated above, the energy of any city can be interpreted in many different ways. Everybody has their reasons for being in the city whether they go to feel successful, to play, worship, mourn, or to just see; there are countless possibilities. When I think of the city, or better yet, when I am in the city I feel as if I am engulfed in immeasurable possibility. Every sound, every sight, and every structure is there for a reason and it is my responsibility to recognize why. A recently released film demonstrates one of these aspects in full detail. In the movie August Rush there is a scene where a young boy imagines that he is conducting the music of the city as he walks along the streets and listens to all of the noises around him. This scene demonstrates the power that the sounds have on this boy and the energy he receives from hearing them.
The flow of a city is similar to that of energy in the way that it is ever changing. During the day the city can become a chaotic mess of cars all trying to be in different places at the same time. This obviously creates a situation that everyone is familiar with; traffic. The flow of a city is commonly measured by the number of stop lights that one must travel through before reaching their destination, or the number of accidents that should be avoided on the way. There are few that really acknowledge some of the simple details that contribute to their everyday experience of the city. These details that affect the flow of a city are different for everyone, but they too contribute to the experience.
The two aspects of energy and flow of a city combine to explain a city’s transformation. No two days are alike. Different people come for different reasons creating a type of unscripted scene that unfolds as the day progresses. I find this aspect of the city to be the most rewarding because, in a sense, you are not controlling what goes on in the city, the city is controlling you. Not only does the city transform from day to day, but your experiences while in the city contribute to your individual transformation. This is why some people love being in the city while others do not. A person that is willing to soak in this transformation, such as myself, has no problem coming back again and again for more. The city teaches as you spend time with it. It’s up to the individual to experience the city for what is has to offer.