myU OneStop

Do What Matters

Volunteer Opportunity's Galore

Make a difference in a child's life--become a part-time Tutor!
Did you know there are several schools in the same neighborhoods where you might live?

SE Como has two new schools in the Tuttle School facility (18th SE and Como), Marcy Holmes/ Dinkytown area has Marcy Open (4th St SE and 4th Ave SE) and Prospect Park/Stadium Village has Pratt School (Malcolm and University). That doesn't even include the opportunities at park facilities, and other community organizations.

Want to help a child when you have time in your schedule? Contact Rachel at fanne005@umn.edu to find a good fit.

Assist a SE Senior near you!
It's the middle of winter and there are lots of seniors in the neighborhood who could use your help shoveling walkways to ensure safety for pedestrians or in various other capacities.

Please contact Carolyn Kennedy for more information about neighbors who might need an extra hand on your block (Kenne462@umn.edu).

Minneapolis "I Know I Can" College Awareness Day - 2/10
On February 10, 2011 approximately 2,700 third graders attending Minneapolis Public Schools will participate in the Minneapolis "I Know I Can" College Awareness Day. It is the first step of The Minneapolis Promise, a cluster of coordinated efforts designed to eliminate barriers to post-secondary education for Minneapolis youth. Volunteers will read I Know I Can, a children's book that introduces college awareness in a context that young children can understand. Volunteers will also have an opportunity to talk about their own college experiences, why college is important, and how to get ready for college.

To participate, you must attend a volunteer orientation session (1 hour) on Wed, Feb. 2 from 1:30-2:30 PM (Walter Library 402). On the day of the event, you'll be expected to arrive at your assigned school at the designated time (between 9:00-10:00 AM) and spend approximately one hour in the classroom.

Contact Meaghan at mcrr@umn.edu or 612-624-4561 for more information or go here to sign up.

New Seward bookstore needs your help!
A new bookstore that opened on Franklin Avenue across from Pizza Luce is looking for volunteers to work in the store each week. It's a collectively own, progressive bookstore, with lots of great titles! Stop by for more info: http://www.boneshakerbooks.com/