Leadership Opportunitity with CLA
The Student Board is hosting a contest for any CLA student who can design, organize, and execute a new CLA event or program. The event or program should aim to engage students academically, while improving their overall CLA experience. We would also like the event or program to be held annually, so please keep this in mind when submitting your proposal.
This is your chance to be creative, get your name out there, and have some fun! We require that your proposal:
· Benefits CLA as a whole
· Is not major or department specific
· Is related to academics
· Promotes student engagement
· Fosters CLA pride
Please fill out the information and answer the questions below and send it to Britni Hummel by November 30, 2011.
Year in school:
1. Current involvement within the University (Jobs, Student Groups):
2. Describe your event. What is your vision?
3. How will this improve the academic environment of CLA?
4. Who will this event or program benefit?
5. Where will the event take place?
6. What resources are needed?
Grant for Student Groups & Organizations
Students With Drive is a new grant program for student organizations. Over the rest of the school year $37,500 will be given away per month to students at Zipcar schools this year, including the University of Minnesota!
· Students With Drive program will select 15 finalists from 5 categories each month. Organizations can be as small as a club athletic team or as large as a chapter of Greek Life.
· Five winning student orgs will receive $5,500 to put towards Zipcar memberships and driving credit (each of the runner-ups will receive $1,000).
· There is no need for the group or submitter to be a Zipster prior to submitting their group to the program.
· Students enter the competition and vote on Facebook.
· There is no cost to compete for a grant or vote for a winner.
If you have any questions, please e-mail Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org and he'll make sure you get anything you need.
Volunteer Trip with Habitat for Humanity
Want to spend your winter break wearing shorts on the Gulf of Mexico? Spend a week volunteering with Habitat for Humanity, meeting new friends and building a home for a family in need! You'll also be able to:
- Hold a moon rock and experience zero-gravity at the Houston Space Center
- Visit the city that bankrupted the Ku Klux Klan of Alabama
- Feel the sand between your toes when you're hanging out at the beach!
Winter Break trips are week-long volunteer events that are great resume builders and a lot of fun. These trips cost only $400, and if you are over 21 and willing to drive, you will receive a $40 discount! Trips leave on January 7th and return to campus on the 14th. You can choose between Houston, TX or Mobile, AL for your winter break adventure!
LGTBA Workshops & Leadership Opportunities
Two of LGTBA programs are still recruiting members: the GLBTQ International Students & Scholars Support Group and the Trans* & Gender Nonconforming Support Group. If you're interested in joining one of our support groups, there is still time -- email email@example.com ASAP!
Newly updated list of November and December trainings, programs and events -- including this Friday's GLBTQA Study Abroad Workshop (Nov 11), our Bi/Pan/Fluid Sexualities & (In)Visibility Discussion (Nov 16), the 6th Annual Trans Commission Remembrance Celebration (Nov 21), and the LGBTQA Faith & Spirituality Discussion (Nov 30)!