Seeking volunteers to help in starting up a 'Local Foods Resource Hub': Initial planning for a new start-up 'Local Foods Resource Hub' (LFRH) for the east side of Minneapolis is underway and SECIA needs your help with these 'hubs.'
Hubs intend to be:
- local points of distribution for physical gardening resources,
- physical space for education classes,
- focused on building leadership capacity at the community level,
- a community network of gardeners and urban farmers that are able to support one another, and enhancing community connections.
SECIA is looking for a couple of individuals who would like to assist getting a LFRH up and running on the east side. This commitment would involve a series of meetings starting in late fall 2010 through winter, and then implementing the hub activities during the growing season. Meeting locations will happen at varied SE & NE locations per the group's schedule. Have questions and inquires? Contact Steph at SECIA 612-508-4415 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Video scholarship contest
As part of the current Driven to Discover student campaign, the University is hosting a student video contest with $30,000 in total scholarship awards. Students will be asked to submit 30 second videos describing what they are driven to discover. The videos will be posted to the University's official Facebook page and winners will be chosen based on "Likes." The top sixteen most liked videos will receive scholarships. Contest rules and entry form are available at discover.umn.edu.
Feel better fast!: Are you feeling overwhelmed or stressed by the demands of the semester? Do you want to learn fast and effective ways to manage stress and practice general self-care? If so, this is the workshop for you! Learn more...
- The 6th Annual Trans Commission Remembrance Celebration - Trans Justice: Creating Community - will take place Monday, November. 21, 5:30-8:00 p.m. in Coffman Union, Whole Music Club. There will be performances from local artists, and opportunities to make connections. Free food, including vegan and gluten-free options, will be provided. Learn more at http://www.glbta.umn.edu/trans.
- The LGBTQA Faith and Spirituality Discussion will take place Wednesday, November 30, 12:30-2:00 p.m. in Appleby Hall 117, to provide an open and respectful forum to talk about the issues and intersections of faith, religion, spirituality, and LGBTQA identities.
2011 CLA Art Fair
The CLA Student Board invites all undergrads to the CLA Art Fair on November 29 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and November 30 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. to view and vote on students' artwork! The event will be held in the Mississippi Room in Coffman Union. This year we will have a cappella student groups, musicians, and refreshments!
Call for visual artists
The Visual Arts Committee of Student Unions and Activities organizes exhibitions at the St. Paul Student Center's Larson Art Gallery and Coffman Memorial Union's Coffman Art Gallery. Students and university community members are encouraged to submit an application. For submission requirements click here.
Winter Outdoor Adventure gear sale
Looking to sell or purchase outdoor winter equipment? The Center for Outdoor Adventure (COA) will be selling some of its winter rental equipment as well as hosting this fun event for others to sell and purchase equipment. There will cross country skis, snowshoes, downhill skis, snowboards, boots, poles, ice climbing equipment, winter camping, and mountaineering equipment and more! For more information visit the COA Gear Sale page.