The YMCA P.H.D. (Physical, Healthy and Driven) program is an obesity prevention, weight management and nutrition education program targeting at-risk children and families in the Twin Cities metro. Its goal is to teach the importance of becoming more physically active and motivated to take charge of their overall health and well-being. The overarching goal of the YMCA P.H.D. is to increase the number of youth and families that incorporate exercise and healthful choices into their lives, and to thereby positively impact the skyrocketing rates of obesity and obesity-related diseases among the families we serve.
P.H.D. interns will provide youth with fun, interactive lessons that will enrich, educate and empower our youth to modify unhealthy habits. Interns will also assist with promoting and marketing the program to organizations and parks. In addition, because we are serving is at-risk youth, P.H.D. interns must be compassionate yet vigilantly aware mandatory reporters.
Qualifications Necessary Include:
- Major in communication, public health, nutrition or other relevant fields
- 3-4 months' experience working with at-risk youth
- Critical and creative thinker
- Strong communication skills necessary; both indirect and direct
- Ability to plan and implement relevant activities and lesson plans
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to work well with children in grades K-12
- Ability to work 20 hours a week
- Ability to maintain positive attitude, enthusiasm, great energy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Publisher and Word
Applications are due by August 3rd, 2012.
For more information view the PHD INTERNSHIP chad edits.doc, or contact Souk Phetsamone: PHD Coordinator at 612-588-9484 or email question to firstname.lastname@example.org