We had to create an original utensil or vessel for this assignment. The brainstorming session on that Monday we had in class was just the first step of this process. For that session I had an IDM rate of .89, so pretty high for the 20 minutes. Our prompt was to think of wooden utensils that could be used for Thanksgiving Dinner. My ideas often continued on the same themes, just expanding or contracting the scale. One idea was wooden blinders that could be worn on the face for a more private dining experience for families that don't get along, it became "dining walls' that surround your plate for more space to yourself. It being my first of four brainstorming sessions that I did that week, I was fresh and ready to go.
One of my early ideas was based off a long held pet peeve of mine and my mothers at our Thanksgiving Dinners. We both really like the canned cranberry sauce, but hate the look of it. Those curves and distinctive ridges just scream unnatural and 'came from a can'! I wanted to make a mold in a more attractive shape for canned cranberry sauce. Since I really didn't know if this process was going to work at all, getting the sauce from the mold intact seemed like a challenge, I first made a prototype. This also was a way to give myself a shop primer in some of the tools I haven't used before.
I carved a little more after this point, filling out the shape and smoothing it down. The wood was so soft that the blunt hand tools were really chewing it up, so I switched to dremmel tool. Patrick from the shop was especially excited about this product, he has the same desire for more attractive sauce. If I had success, he wanted me to make mini molds for people to have individual servings of cranberry sauce on top of their dinner. Once satisfied with the quality of my carving I took it home to meet the sauce.
The roommate suggested trying using a base layer of sugar in the mold, and then laying in the cranberry sauce. Reminiscent of the citric acid/sugar mixture that Diane had me put on some jelly like petite fours, it dried the exterior and made it easier to handle.
It was time to start anew. I wanted to use this project as an opportunity to learn a skill that I would use later in life. I had drawn out a salad serving set in my original sketches, and did extensive product research to figure out the best forms.
I really liked the positive/negative space play of one of these sets and set out to make something similar. When drawing in my sketchbook I kept on drawing swirls, and swirls is what I drew on the wood. It was only when i cut into it did I realize how magical it looked.
I really liked the shave. Which I used to smooth down the sharp sides of what I had cut with the band saw. This was easily the most enjoyable part of the experience for me. The shave works so well, quickly, and quietly.
I had a friend take a little movie of my work with the shave. He said it was the most boring video he's ever taken.
Soon after the hard maple spoon was in a workable state, I started working on a spoon. This one I choose black walnut for the wood. I wanted a stark contrast. I think I got it here.
And here I have them together! I had a great time with this project. Thanks for assigning it.