01 Diversity Lifeline Activity - instructions
- We'd like to begin our discussion of diversity by having you fill out a "diversity lifeline." The purpose of this exercise is to get you thinking about when you first developed an awareness of diversity in your life.
- There are two parts to this activity. First, you'll notice on the handout that there is a timeline from your birth until now. On this lifeline, mark the first time you [read the different items from the exercise]. The second part of the exercise is to discuss the two questions listed under part 2 with one other person at your table.
- We'll take 5 minutes to fill in the lifelines, and 5 minutes to discuss them in your groups of two. We'll prompt you when it's time to move into Part 2.
- Any questions?
- 5 min. --- Part 1: Participants fill in the timeline on their own.
- 5 min. --- Part 2: Participants discuss their timelines in groups of 2.
- 2 min. --- Facilitators wrap up exercise, provide some summary comments about the purpose of this exercise, transitions into next slide
This exercise was adapted from "30 Days & 30 Ways to Celebrate Diversity". It can be used if you include the citation: Originally compiled by Myrna Marofsky and Diana Vaicius. Revised and edited by Sarah Kesher and Forrest Brandt Novations Group, Inc. © 2008