A few good minions...

We (CLA Student Services Office of Application Development) are hiring! I have an opening for three undergraduate web developers. You can read more (and apply) at http://minions.class.umn.edu/job.html. If you have any questions or wish to apply, e-mail me at eric0909@umn.edu.

Web Developer

The College of Liberal Arts Assistant Dean's Office is hiring for an undergraduate web developer position. Applicants should have experience in one or more of PHP, Perl, Python, Java, or Visual Basic. Experience using SQL (both MySQL and MSSQL) and programming database-driven applications is also required. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in XML technologies (i.e. XSL and XPath), server administration, and/or data mining.

Applicants must be a current University of Minnesota undergraduate student, able to work individually as well as collaboratively in small groups. Hours are flexible, anywhere from 8AM-6PM on weekdays. During the semester the position is 20 hours/week, but during the summer and winter breaks it increases to 40 hours/week. The job is paid at a rate of $10.75 per hour.

Hockey + Will It Blend = Princess Diana?

YouTube sent me a friendly reminder this morning about new videos in my channel subscriptions. I only keep an eye on two channels. The NHL channel hasn't been all that active during the off-season, so that had to mean there was another BlendTec "Will It Blend?" episode. (My interest in Will It Blend? was recently reinvigorated after they tested the iPhone's blendability.)

videos_to_di_for.png

Alas, neither channel had new videos. Instead, YouTube wanted to let me know that there were newly posted videos in the "princessdianaislove" channel to which I had supposedly subscribed. We've been known to watch and link to some fairly random videos in the nerd room, but I'm fairly sure this was the first time I've ever seen that channel before.

Obviously something went awry in the code that generated the e-mail. Usually you can piece something together from stuff you've previously looked at. For example, when you've been recommended something completely oddball at Amazon you can usually find out what it used to generate the recommendation. But not this time. The least they could have done was default to something like the debate videos from last night rather than a random pull from the database.