Digital Arts Workshop - Day 5

So today involved the actual construction of our group's animation in iMovie. Both of our students had experience within the program before the workshop, so it went pretty smoothly. I helped one student with the ordering of the scenes while the other mentors polished up the clips and helped the other student in Garage Band. Like I said, everything went smoothly, which I would contribute to multiple things. The students experience was nice and our group had done a good amount of work outside the workshop to make sure everything was ready to be imported into iMovie. The program itself was also quite easy to use. I have used it before, but not in such a extensive manner and I was surprised at how easy everything became once we started.

I would still be weary of using this within a classroom for this age group though, as even though things went smoothly, they also take time. We were not able to completely finish the animation with the students in our group, which left a small amount of work to be completed without them. Tis was okay with me though, because next time we meet with the students, they will get to see the completed project with their parents. I think this way it will be more rewarding and exciting for them.

I have the finished video here as well. Hopefully I can also figure out how to upload a isolated track that one of the students created in Garage Band for the animation (which I will post either here or in another post)

Just as a recap, we chose to use the story of Icarus, which tells of him and his father escaping from a prison through the use of wings his father built with wax and feathers. Daedalus (his father) warns Icarus of the dangers of flying too low to the ocean or too high to the sun. Icarus ignores these warnings and eventually flies too high, where the sun melts the wax, thus destroying his wings. Icarus meets his end as he falls to the ocean which ends the story.

We chose to follow the story pretty much as told, expect we used a different theme, thus changing some minor details. The theme focuses on that similar to Tim Burton's artistic style (inspired mostly from the movie 9).

This page contains a single entry by B published on November 16, 2009 12:19 PM.

Digital Arts Workshop - Day 4 was the previous entry in this blog.

Lesson Plan (No Lab) is the next entry in this blog.