Recently in related artistic practices Category

Embroidered Newspaper pictures

Artist Lauren DiCioccio uses hand embroidery on a translucent cotton laid over a newspaper to illustrate the photographs from the news.

Lauren-DiCioccio_30.jpg

Visit her website for more beautiful examples.

Candice Methe's Unicorn Book

Year end projects included an embroidered handkerchief book project by grad student Candice Methe. The cover features a laser cut unicorn:

Thumbnail image for Pegasus Book Cover.jpg

Beneath the unicorn she embroidered the words "And Then The Pegasus Came" in silver-gray thread that is very similar to the light color of the leather used.

The handkerchief pages were embroidered with more hand written text:

Pegasus book page.jpg

And earlier experiment shows what happens when you try to fill text for embroidery that is too small:

small text.jpg

Cardboard plotter automated drawing machine

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/5/4066118/cardboard-plotter-automated-drawing-machine-niklas-roy

Check out this amazing video of a simple drawing machine...Non-computer mechanical design and drawing :)

Check out the artists other work at his website for some more of the most awesome weird machines.

Hi! I'm Kieran, the Friday eStudio tech. We've been coming up with ways to use technologies in the eStudio for printmaking, and we've come up with a substantial list for the vinyl cutter alone. Vinyl cutter + intaglio, vinyl cutter + monoprinting, vinyl cutter + screenprinting...

I decided to try intaglio first. The idea was to create a mask for aquatinting, to cover parts of the plate instead of using asphaltum or sharpie. I drew an image on the Cintiq tablet (another great tool for printmaking - this is where I start with many of my transparencies!) and told the vinyl cutter to cut it out.
cutting the mask.jpg

Since this was a pretty tiny mask (about 2"x3") with tiny lines, peeling the tiny squares out was annoying. I decided to keep many of the squares intact, just to see how it would look.
peeling mask.jpg

I then stuck the vinyl to my copper plate, scurried downstairs to the print studio, applied the aquatint, and removed the mask before etching the plate in acid. I learned with my second try that you can also keep the mask on while etching for a cleaner crisper result. Here's the plate:

the intaglio plate.jpg

And here's the first proof of the plate:
grid wave the small one.jpg

Note the fuzziness of the lines - this is because I took the mask off before etching. I like the effect.

Here's the proof of my other test, which was bigger, etched for less time, and the vinyl was left on during etching.
grid wave the big one.jpg

Conclusion: This totally works! Printmakers, try it for yourself! Use it to get really intricate and/or clean shapes. You also have the option of cutting "perfect" multiples, which is useful when using the same image for multiple applications.

Diane Meyer

On topic again, check out this awesome blend of digital media (photography) and thread. Color analysis, pixel analysis, awesome.

Diane Meyer embroidery on photographs, pumpkins.jpg

Diane Meyer embroidery on photographs.jpg

On the blog Supersonic Electronic and at her website

Erik Olson's work with recycled plastic

Though not composed using digital technologies (that I know of) the use of plastic and thread in this piece suggests some possible uses of both the ultrasonic welder and the digital embroidery machine. The amazing variety of color here is my favorite part. Remember the ultrasonic welder can handle any material 50% synthetic or more, which includes a lot of fabrics, and the embroidery machine can be used on plastics as well as papers and fabrics.

Erik Olson's Masquerade.jpg

Visit Flow Art Space's facebook page and check out the rest of his work (including some awesome dimensional paintings and wild animations) at his website . The opening for this show is this Friday February 8th, at Flow Art Space which is located at 308 Prince Street Suite 218 in Lowertown St. Paul.

Taylor Kline at Prøve Gallery in Duluth

Taylor Kline's work was recently featured at Goulash, a show of work by graduating UMD art students. His work incorporates some vinyl cut imagery, layered over a striking background developed by slicing skateboards, revealing a cross-section of brightly dyed plywood. Pretty sweet.

Taylor Kline Spotcheck

Each of his pieces depicts a different place that has been important to the development of skate culture.

Taylor Kline-Spotcheck1

Technique tip: he embedded the vinyl in thick clear acrylic medium which made the whole piece look very nicely finished.

Check out some of his older work on mnartists.org and check out Prøve Gallery on Facebook or on Lake Avenue the next time you're in Duluth!

Amanda McCavour's works in thread and air

Amanda McCavour uses water soluble stabilizer (as featured in the last two posts) and a (regular) sewing machine to create full-scale drawings of furniture, living spaces, flowers, hands, memories, etc.

Amanda McCavour Stand In For Home.jpg

Check out her website for other inspirational pieces:

http://www.amandamccavour.com/gallery/living/

Definitely a fantastic use of some of the same technologies we are exploring.

Awesome textile artist Nike Schroeder

Living and working in Berlin, Nike Schroeder hand stitches portraits and scenes in vivid color. Check out the Railroad project and Fundamental Reports as well as the portraits to see some innovative use of thread, line, color, and texture. Thread is sometimes layered over watery paint for a compound effect.

Fundamental Reports

Fundamental Reports 01 by Nike Schroeder.jpg

Fundamental Reports 13 by Nike Schroeder.jpg

GeoffMap (1 of 3) Nike Schroeder.jpg

Jurg Lehni- artist using vinyl cutter type technologies

This piece was exhibited at the Graphic Design: Now in Production show at the Walker Art Center. It utilizes a plotter very similar to the vinyl cutter we have in the eStudio. The program he designed for viewers to use was specific to the project, using the "void" area, the negative cutout space of the circles to create words. Viewers were invited to enter their own words, see them cut out on the plotter, and take the newly created artifact with them.

http://vimeo.com/16379809