This is it, and I walk away Full!

This is my last Blog everybody so enjoy!

Just yesterday I and one of my fellow Group process peers, who will remain nameless, were on the Campus Connector after class comparing our other classes with Rhetoric 3266. Some of the things that came up in our conversation were the fact that we actually were getting our monies worth in our Group process class. We didn’t just do tedious assignments, but assignments were given to use so that we could apply them to our future careers. This made us learn about how what we were being taught would improve, impact, and relate to our future. We also conversed about the realness of our instructor. (To Amiee)- You are very humble in your dealings with students, and very understanding. By this I mean that you understood that, as human beings, some days we just didn’t’ feel like talking a lot. Other teachers may sense this in their students but don’t acknowledge it which makes it even harder to stay focused. Not only did you acknowledge things like fatigue, boredom, tiredness, but you would reorganize the order of class, and or assignments, push us, when you could, but didn’t try to force us to talk or do the impossible. For example I like the way you would help people get in to the discussions that found it hard to jump in some times. I also like when you had the entire class stand up and talk. This being a time up you pushed us to overcome our laziness in that case.

By the time my friend and I were almost to Minneapolis we were talking about how some classes seemed like a waste of time, but how all of them had a leadership, or group techniques in general that could be learned and were very valuable. Even the books, we stated, were a great break from text books, and taught us a lot about how to be better team workers, and leaders.

Now thinking about all the assignments we did I really enjoyed the blogs, EQ paper, the readings, group assignments. Everything was good. I can say that I didn’t really like the teach the class, or leadership presentation material that was required to present, but I still felt that I walked away from this class with so much. I learned so much about my self and things I need to improve on when working in groups and teams so we did on these assignments. So even though I didn’t like the topics, I enjoyed having the opportunity to see concepts being taught in class put into action within these group assignments, like active listening, the parts people play in a group, and ways to keep group focused on the task at hand. Then again during both the presentations I still learn more valuable things, about visual data, and Nelson Mandela and not to mention the things that stayed with me from the other groups.

I really can go on and on. Basically, my mind goes back to the first day of class when Aimee stated, in summary, “This will be the most important class you take at the university.? When she said that people sucked their teeth, and even I was like “yeah right,? this class will be just like all the other classes, where it’s just busy work and doesn’t apply to what I need to learn for my future, but in this case, in the class, in Rhet3266 taught by Aimee I was wrong, and she was rather right, thus far this was the most beneficial class. It just felt real, and brought my future right in the midst of the learning and caused me to apply the teachings being taught directly to it, it felt worth it. I thought I would learn nothing at all, but I learned, how to be a leader, problem solve, be a better active listener, how to get things to tip, how to motivate, how to connect with others, what I need to work on involving my position contribution to a group, how to use my EQ to my benefit, how to make my work satisfying, and so much more. Thank you Amiee for not just teaching for the paycheck, but to impact the life of others so that they benefit from what you are endeavoring to teach them, and as well for opening more doors for them to walk through and explore more.

Posted by at at 7:50 PM

Let's Make The Best of It!

Fish! Wow, I really enjoyed this book. The principals that they presented can be used across situations, and various types of groups. Play, Make their day, Be there, and Choose your attitude. I have three different events in my life that I want to briefly talk about, not all of them possess all these principals, but at least one or two of them.

Currently I work on campus at Moos Tower as a student worker in an Endodontic Clinic. Most of my work day is spent sitting at a computer inputting clinic, and procedural information into an online file. This in the past has been very boring, tedious, and caused me to be very sleepy getting hardly anything done. Thus in order to make my attitude better about the work I was doing I chose to have fun with it, or to make it bearable somehow. My solution was to bring head phones and listen to CDs while working. Now that all my CDs are on my hard rive, I now jam to my favorites while doing my work, I enjoy it now and get more done.

In the past I was a Certified Nurses Assistant for about six months, I hated it. Right when my shift began I along with the other CNAs had to do what we called rounds, check all the residents, get them up and dressed for dinner. Well working with my sister, she was all about work, just doing what she had to do. Later when I began to work with my friend from school we would, Play, Make their day, Be there, and choose our attitude. We would during rounds, take our time with the elderly, pick out nice outfits, do their hair, put make up on them, make them laugh, sing, and just have fun right along with the elderly person. It was great and it made both their and our days much brighter.

Lastly, when living at home I can remember how much I and my nine brothers and sisters hated to unload and put the groceries away. It was just something we grew to hate, but that one day all changed. What we started to do reminds me so much of Fish. I don’t remember who started it but one day we decided to make a long line from the car to inside the house to the kitchen. What we did was instead of each going to the car getting groceries and carrying it to the kitchen; we just passed the groceries along the line of all of us. When I say pass I actually mean throw. We would say think fast and throw all the groceries one by one in a fast moving cycle to the kitchen. Of course we would occasionally break jelly and all get in a lot of trouble, but we no longer dreaded the act of unloading and putting away groceries. For even after everything was in side we continued with the throwing act. One person would take the refrigerator and other cabinets, and others pick up groceries from the table and throw them to the person who was in the area of where the particular item belonged….Oh the memories, those were the good old days.

What is common in all these examples is that we had fun, played, and choose the attitude we wanted to have about the task we were performing.

Posted by at at 1:31 PM

What Hasn't Tipped?

Roosters, DOES IT RING A BELL? Probably not, and that is because Roosters’ Chicken place don’t have any stickiness factors along with the lack of other things. I work at a hair salon is St. Paul called Salon Bliss. Almost ever day for lunch someone orders for the entire salon chicken dinners from Roosters. These chicken dinners are the best thing I have every tasted and all those who have tried at the shop feel the same way, but why haven’t Roosters; chicken and fries “tipped.?

Well according to a Maven, Roosters chicken is probably not healthy, well that is definitely a fact, things that taste so good are never really good for you. This same Maven may also believe that the building’s condition, cramp ness, and location is also what contributes to their reason for not considering it a good place to eat. A Maven would say, like many have said already, that “Roosters’ is a whole in the wall.?

Roosters’ chicken is being promoted simply by word of mouth and just haven’t be brought to the attend of a true Connector and successful Sale’s man. For example some times at the shop one of the barbers will do his best to persuade some of the clients to try the chicken, but his efforts fail.

I would recommend that Roosters rebuild a newer, nicer, cleaner restaurant. And come up with some type of jingle, and get a commercial where to most sophisticated people come to Roosters and “CockadoddleDo.? Then I would suggest giving out free samples at the surrounding businesses, and school.

Posted by at at 11:08 PM

Reaction to Tipping Point

I really enjoyed the Tipping Point Novel. I was a smooth read and very understandable. What struck me the most though was the idea of "personality talents," is what I'll call them. Just the indentifying of these three different types of people in the world, their capabilities, charateristics, and strengths I found really interesting. When I think about the three types of "The Few" I think opprotunity, THE BIG OPPROTUNITY for a idea, lesson, invention, or anything to tip. I am a person with big Dealines, I won't even call them dreams because they need and must come to past for me to have accomplish the reasons I was put on this earth for, thus knowing the information about "The Few," is very vauable for me.

Looking foward into the near future I can see myself searching for these three types of people within my family, amongst my friends, and in my neighborhood, or on my job. Getting to know these types for people I can anticipate, will be benefical to me as I began to put my ideas and plans into action. What Tipping Point has made aware to me is going to be used for good, not for personal gain, or to get rich, but merely, to get the best, accurate information out there from the Maven, Get the Connector to spead the good findings, vauable info to as many people as possible, and getting the Salesman to persuade all those who have heard the information now to act on it in the apporpriate way they are intended to react!

As you can read I really enjoyed Tipping Point and I will be using it to reference from for years to come!

Posted by at at 4:11 PM

My Teaching the Class Experience

This past Tuesday I had the opportunity, along wit four other students from my Group Process Class, to teach the class and what an experience and learning process it was. There were many things I learned about myself and the whole process itself.

Our way of communication was through breeze and once in person outside of the classroom. What I noticed about myself is that I like many other people when in a group one of my many personalities takes over according to the others groups more dominant personalities. By this I mean if I find myself in a group of quiet shy people, I will become more out spoken and take the controller role, but in other groups if there is a controller present then Ill fall in where ever the missing personality is. This is not good all the time; I understand this may be a weakness for me because any group needs my most powerful personality, the one that will provide the most successful contributions to the project or task. For example with this assignment I was apart of a group of people who all knew each other prior to this class, and that were all of the same educational study background, and then on top of that many had controller type personalities. Thus I was the quieter one, pleaser, but still made suggestions here and there. This type of group interaction also can be good in a way, because I was able to learn group dynamics as well.

What I really liked about our group interaction is that everyone knew their different talents and abilities and we connected them all together so that the presentation and preparing of it could go over well. This I believe is what kept everyone motivated to do the best at what they do, and to learn from others who know about other things.

On that note learning from others is very influential and can really help a person out. For example the critiques I received from others about my presentation abilities. Many said that I really did a great job. This will make me continue to keep up good presentation skills in the future. But even if I did get bad critiques I would have did the same thing, tried to better for the next time. The only regrets I have from this teach the class assignment is that I didnt take on a new role, who knows what would have happened it I would have been the controller or leader. In the future I would try to by more involved and try to balance out the personalities within the group, if everyone is into being heard and involved, then I wont just take the role of the pleaser, but jump right in with the big dogs and challenge myself to keep up

Thanks for reading: Have a great Holiday!

Posted by at at 2:19 PM

Breeze was a Breeze?

What Ive learned from the virtual groups and working on line though Breeze is that is was fund and very interesting. I have never seen it in my life. I learn something new every day. This experience was something that I would have never had if it werent for Group Process class taught by Aimee Whiteside at the University of Minnesota. If I go back home my family and friends wouldnt even know what a virtual group or team was. But now I have this to share I will do so. When time, distance, and or space is an issue than there is always another option, and Ive learned that meeting virtually is one of those options.

I enjoyed meeting with my group virtually this past Thursday. Our society is really changing the way it works and functions. In the future as well as now I need to make it my job to educate up and coming adolescents about these new forms of technology and the skills that they will need to be most successful while using them. For example, I myself took typing lessons, but while in Breeze I realized that I was rather a slower typer than the others, it may have been because I was on a lap top that was harder for me to type on, but at any rate things like tying skills, and being familiar with different computer and online programs is essential in this day and time.

Breeze, was awesome, we all meet together, yet were at different locations, what else does technology have to offer the world of business, and our society as a whole.

Posted by at at 2:03 PM

The Big EQ

I have reflected on Dr. Daniel Golemans book and believe that Emotional Intelligence is for me knowing my feelings, what makes me feel a certain way and why, knowing my behaviors and their fluctuations, then managing those feelings and behaviors, understanding others, and using all these abilities as a guide to a successful life and power of the outcome of that life. From becoming familiar with Dr. Golemans book I now do believe that Emotional Intelligence is a big predictor of the success that one will obtain. According to the book evidence suggest that it is as powerful, and at times more powerful, than IQ, This is why I believe it is so important, especially for me. In the future as I began working with children it is going to be very important that impart in them the significance of being able to relate to others and oneself. Though some of the things that Goleman or EQ declares can be understood as personality characteristics such as empathy, motivation, persistence, warmth and social skills, it is within our human nature ability to change ourselves and learn and grow into new individuals. Basically what I understand is that Emotional Intelligence causes people to have to change their views of what being smart is, it not only about the books.

Posted by at at 1:45 PM

My Most Feared Group Role!

Controller? Blamer? Distracter? Ghost? Pleaser? Well none of these roles really sound likes anything that I would want to be within a group, so I a way I guess I fear them all. But to be specific I would most of all fear to be the Blamer. From experience with working in groups the person/s that at the end of the project or assignment who claims they knew of a more successful way to get the job done, are really a bother. I never what to hold back what I thought could have made the group experience a success although I have done it in the past as a pleaser. This role I worry about because as I mature and become more assimilated into the adult world group decisions, interactions, and plans are going to be more serious and have a greater impact on others. Thus becoming a blamer and having no group identity or integrity will no guarantee success for me or those I work and come in contact with. I can steer clear of this role in future groups simply by applying the things learned from this Group Process class, as well as taking into account that I am always apart of the group that I am in and that my input counts and is essential to the groups healthy function.

Posted by at at 1:11 PM

My Desire of Life

My personal Statement.....To live a life that maintains and promotes Christ, which entails much within itself, but untimately meaning living Prov 1:16, acknowledging God in all my ways that he may direct my path, actions, responses, thoughts, decisions....that I may see is face in peace in the end.

It took me so long to get to this personal statement but now that I have wrote it, it was alright to develop simply because I know I just want to live a life that is pleasing to Christ in every way possible....

Within team and or my carreer as well with any other thing in my life,......my relationship with Christs drives any and everything that I do regarless to what it is.....so with all people I will live a Christ like life, treat and interact with them is a positive and pleasant way, help, love, and demand the respect of a Child Of God, which means just because I saved doesn't mean I'm crazy, I won't let people take advantage of me or walk all over me..........

Posted by at at 10:10 AM

'Living By The Spirit'

What did you learn about yourself by completing the inventories?

After reviewing my answers to some of the questions I had an epiphany. I can remember now the countless time I would pray to God. I would request that I have the ability to see, hear, think, and basically live in the spirit, because as a Christian that is what makes the daily strive easier. At any rate, from the results of inventories that were done I have realized that my prayer has been answered and that I have come to began living in the spirit. My priorities have changed, even throughout daily life. The ten minutes to yourself thing that the author mention I not only do buy it is more like 1 and hours a day, mostly through prayer and meditation on God. Everything in my life is being and on its way to lining up with Gods will for my life and thus the answers to many of the questions was on a spiritual level for me. I am overjoyed to have realized this supernatural change in me in such a surprising way. I enjoyed doing the inventories, I love learning about myself and the new things that have manifested themselves on the outside from what God has transformed already on the inside of me. After reviewing my answers to some of the questions I had an epiphany. I can remember now the countless time I would pray to God. I would request that I have the ability to see, hear, think, and basically live in the spirit, because as a Christian that is what makes the daily strive easier. At any rate, from the results of inventories that were done I have realized that my prayer has been answered and that I have come to began living in the spirit. My priorities have changed, even throughout daily life. The ten minutes to yourself thing that the author mention I not only do buy it is more like 1 and hours a day, mostly through prayer and meditation on God. Everything in my life is being and on its way to lining up with Gods will for my life and thus the answers to many of the questions was on a spiritual level for me. I am overjoyed to have realized this supernatural change in me in such a surprising way. I enjoyed doing the inventories, I love learning about myself and the new things that have manifested themselves on the outside from what God has transformed already on the inside of me. 

Posted by at at 1:46 PM