This is it, and I walk away Full!

This is my last Blog everybody so enjoy!

Just yesterday I and one of my fellow Group process peers, who will remain nameless, were on the Campus Connector after class comparing our other classes with Rhetoric 3266. Some of the things that came up in our conversation were the fact that we actually were getting our monies worth in our Group process class. We didn’t just do tedious assignments, but assignments were given to use so that we could apply them to our future careers. This made us learn about how what we were being taught would improve, impact, and relate to our future. We also conversed about the realness of our instructor. (To Amiee)- You are very humble in your dealings with students, and very understanding. By this I mean that you understood that, as human beings, some days we just didn’t’ feel like talking a lot. Other teachers may sense this in their students but don’t acknowledge it which makes it even harder to stay focused. Not only did you acknowledge things like fatigue, boredom, tiredness, but you would reorganize the order of class, and or assignments, push us, when you could, but didn’t try to force us to talk or do the impossible. For example I like the way you would help people get in to the discussions that found it hard to jump in some times. I also like when you had the entire class stand up and talk. This being a time up you pushed us to overcome our laziness in that case.

By the time my friend and I were almost to Minneapolis we were talking about how some classes seemed like a waste of time, but how all of them had a leadership, or group techniques in general that could be learned and were very valuable. Even the books, we stated, were a great break from text books, and taught us a lot about how to be better team workers, and leaders.

Now thinking about all the assignments we did I really enjoyed the blogs, EQ paper, the readings, group assignments. Everything was good. I can say that I didn’t really like the teach the class, or leadership presentation material that was required to present, but I still felt that I walked away from this class with so much. I learned so much about my self and things I need to improve on when working in groups and teams so we did on these assignments. So even though I didn’t like the topics, I enjoyed having the opportunity to see concepts being taught in class put into action within these group assignments, like active listening, the parts people play in a group, and ways to keep group focused on the task at hand. Then again during both the presentations I still learn more valuable things, about visual data, and Nelson Mandela and not to mention the things that stayed with me from the other groups.

I really can go on and on. Basically, my mind goes back to the first day of class when Aimee stated, in summary, “This will be the most important class you take at the university.? When she said that people sucked their teeth, and even I was like “yeah right,? this class will be just like all the other classes, where it’s just busy work and doesn’t apply to what I need to learn for my future, but in this case, in the class, in Rhet3266 taught by Aimee I was wrong, and she was rather right, thus far this was the most beneficial class. It just felt real, and brought my future right in the midst of the learning and caused me to apply the teachings being taught directly to it, it felt worth it. I thought I would learn nothing at all, but I learned, how to be a leader, problem solve, be a better active listener, how to get things to tip, how to motivate, how to connect with others, what I need to work on involving my position contribution to a group, how to use my EQ to my benefit, how to make my work satisfying, and so much more. Thank you Amiee for not just teaching for the paycheck, but to impact the life of others so that they benefit from what you are endeavoring to teach them, and as well for opening more doors for them to walk through and explore more.

Posted by at December 9, 2005 7:50 PM