This is it, and I walk away Full!

This is my last Blog everybody so enjoy!

Just yesterday I and one of my fellow Group process peers, who will remain nameless, were on the Campus Connector after class comparing our other classes with Rhetoric 3266. Some of the things that came up in our conversation were the fact that we actually were getting our monies worth in our Group process class. We didn’t just do tedious assignments, but assignments were given to use so that we could apply them to our future careers. This made us learn about how what we were being taught would improve, impact, and relate to our future. We also conversed about the realness of our instructor. (To Amiee)- You are very humble in your dealings with students, and very understanding. By this I mean that you understood that, as human beings, some days we just didn’t’ feel like talking a lot. Other teachers may sense this in their students but don’t acknowledge it which makes it even harder to stay focused. Not only did you acknowledge things like fatigue, boredom, tiredness, but you would reorganize the order of class, and or assignments, push us, when you could, but didn’t try to force us to talk or do the impossible. For example I like the way you would help people get in to the discussions that found it hard to jump in some times. I also like when you had the entire class stand up and talk. This being a time up you pushed us to overcome our laziness in that case.

By the time my friend and I were almost to Minneapolis we were talking about how some classes seemed like a waste of time, but how all of them had a leadership, or group techniques in general that could be learned and were very valuable. Even the books, we stated, were a great break from text books, and taught us a lot about how to be better team workers, and leaders.

Now thinking about all the assignments we did I really enjoyed the blogs, EQ paper, the readings, group assignments. Everything was good. I can say that I didn’t really like the teach the class, or leadership presentation material that was required to present, but I still felt that I walked away from this class with so much. I learned so much about my self and things I need to improve on when working in groups and teams so we did on these assignments. So even though I didn’t like the topics, I enjoyed having the opportunity to see concepts being taught in class put into action within these group assignments, like active listening, the parts people play in a group, and ways to keep group focused on the task at hand. Then again during both the presentations I still learn more valuable things, about visual data, and Nelson Mandela and not to mention the things that stayed with me from the other groups.

I really can go on and on. Basically, my mind goes back to the first day of class when Aimee stated, in summary, “This will be the most important class you take at the university.? When she said that people sucked their teeth, and even I was like “yeah right,? this class will be just like all the other classes, where it’s just busy work and doesn’t apply to what I need to learn for my future, but in this case, in the class, in Rhet3266 taught by Aimee I was wrong, and she was rather right, thus far this was the most beneficial class. It just felt real, and brought my future right in the midst of the learning and caused me to apply the teachings being taught directly to it, it felt worth it. I thought I would learn nothing at all, but I learned, how to be a leader, problem solve, be a better active listener, how to get things to tip, how to motivate, how to connect with others, what I need to work on involving my position contribution to a group, how to use my EQ to my benefit, how to make my work satisfying, and so much more. Thank you Amiee for not just teaching for the paycheck, but to impact the life of others so that they benefit from what you are endeavoring to teach them, and as well for opening more doors for them to walk through and explore more.

Posted by at 7:50 PM

Let's Make The Best of It!

Fish! Wow, I really enjoyed this book. The principals that they presented can be used across situations, and various types of groups. Play, Make their day, Be there, and Choose your attitude. I have three different events in my life that I want to briefly talk about, not all of them possess all these principals, but at least one or two of them.

Currently I work on campus at Moos Tower as a student worker in an Endodontic Clinic. Most of my work day is spent sitting at a computer inputting clinic, and procedural information into an online file. This in the past has been very boring, tedious, and caused me to be very sleepy getting hardly anything done. Thus in order to make my attitude better about the work I was doing I chose to have fun with it, or to make it bearable somehow. My solution was to bring head phones and listen to CDs while working. Now that all my CDs are on my hard rive, I now jam to my favorites while doing my work, I enjoy it now and get more done.

In the past I was a Certified Nurses Assistant for about six months, I hated it. Right when my shift began I along with the other CNAs had to do what we called rounds, check all the residents, get them up and dressed for dinner. Well working with my sister, she was all about work, just doing what she had to do. Later when I began to work with my friend from school we would, Play, Make their day, Be there, and choose our attitude. We would during rounds, take our time with the elderly, pick out nice outfits, do their hair, put make up on them, make them laugh, sing, and just have fun right along with the elderly person. It was great and it made both their and our days much brighter.

Lastly, when living at home I can remember how much I and my nine brothers and sisters hated to unload and put the groceries away. It was just something we grew to hate, but that one day all changed. What we started to do reminds me so much of Fish. I don’t remember who started it but one day we decided to make a long line from the car to inside the house to the kitchen. What we did was instead of each going to the car getting groceries and carrying it to the kitchen; we just passed the groceries along the line of all of us. When I say pass I actually mean throw. We would say think fast and throw all the groceries one by one in a fast moving cycle to the kitchen. Of course we would occasionally break jelly and all get in a lot of trouble, but we no longer dreaded the act of unloading and putting away groceries. For even after everything was in side we continued with the throwing act. One person would take the refrigerator and other cabinets, and others pick up groceries from the table and throw them to the person who was in the area of where the particular item belonged….Oh the memories, those were the good old days.

What is common in all these examples is that we had fun, played, and choose the attitude we wanted to have about the task we were performing.

Posted by at 1:31 PM