Lesson Ideas

Integrating music into curriculum allows creativity and connections. I teach middle school math, and with the mathematical standards increasing each year, time is a valuable resource. I also find it difficult to find appropriate and worthwhile lessons that integrate music in a logical and meaningful way. However, here are some examples of lessons that I will incorporate this next school year.

Continue reading "Lesson Ideas" »

Video Review: Part II

Reading Ms. Steel’s review on Katy Perry’s “I Kissed A Girl? video, I have to agree with the negativity of the reviewer...

Continue reading "Video Review: Part II" »

Video Review

The Pussycat Doll’s Video “When I grow up? is one of mtv.com’s most popular videos.......

Continue reading "Video Review" »

This.....is American Idol

“This…..Is American Idol.? Those famous words that begin each show – a show that not only millions of people watch - but pay money - in order to participate in the process. As possibly the show that began the reality show phenomenon, American Idol has captured the attention of all ages. Even if you’re a critic of the show, it’s hard to argue with its success...

Continue reading "This.....is American Idol" »

Hip Hop

Hip Hop music came alive and became popular beginning in the 1970’s. It has been a very popular music genre ever since. "Nothing else, currently, allows for you to talk about race, class, gender, sexuality, nationality, politics and the economy like hip hop music and culture," says Michael Barnes, a doctoral candidate at the University of California at Berkley, whose dissertation examines hip hop DJ culture...

Continue reading "Hip Hop" »

Censorship

Here is Wikipedia’s definition of censorship:
“Censorship is the suppression of speech or deletion of communicative material which may be considered objectionable, harmful or sensitive, as determined by a censor. The rationale for censorship is different for various types of data censored. Censorship is the act or practice of removing material from things we encounter every day on the grounds that it is obscene, vulgar, and/or highly objectionable. Whether it is on TV, in music, books, or on the Internet, censorship is an inescapable part of human society.?

Continue reading "Censorship" »

Music Videos

Watching a Leslie Gore music video (1966) and then comparing it to a Lil’ Kim video, it seems that we are moving in the wrong direction.....

Continue reading "Music Videos" »

My Music Progression

I have been surrounded by music since birth. My mom is an elementary music teacher, and has a college degree in clarinet performance and music education. While I think this is where I got my love for music, it has also developed over time and has become personalized, just like anything....

Continue reading "My Music Progression" »

The Movies

Movies have the power to inform, entertain and contribute to quality discussions and reflections. They take us to a world outside of ourselves and have the ability to persuade, heal and motivate...

Continue reading "The Movies" »

The Importance of Music

The following articles reiterated the important presence that music has had among different cultures, and how it has changed over time. (http://www.gpwu.ac.jp/%7Ebiddle/youth.htm, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6666725.stm, http://magazine.uchicago.edu/0304/features/clouding.html). I think the automatic response for anyone is to think of your own culture first when discussing any topic. It’s the unconscious egotistical mind we all possess. While America did have a large impact on popular music throughout the world, other countries have gone through the same artistic revolution...

Continue reading "The Importance of Music" »