« The World in our Hands | Main | Feb 27, 2008 »

What to do........

thinking_man2.jpg

To begin I was a little confused with the blog prompt for this week. “If you were completely released from the constraints of the ‘architecture school program’ what would you do architecturally, artistically, boldly, lyrically, etc, that would have an impact on the environment. Describe a real or imagined place that might allow you to do this.? I’m going to take this as meaning two things. First, I have just been kicked out of school, but this is not a bad thing apparently, I am now free from restrictions. Second, I am given anything and everything I want. Then we can just add on that I am told to go out and make an impact on the environment. So I am going to stick with what I think is important, service. Service can manifest itself in many forms, service to yourself, your college, your neighbors, your state and your country. Along with this I have recently been exposed to an idea of servant leadership that I find very interesting. Servant leadership is when a leader leads by doing acts of service. While taking on roles of responsibility it is always realized that the work you are doing is not purely for your benefit, but for the benefit of others. In a company this could mean being deliberate in serving your peers. Asking them what you can do to make their job easier. We have to realize that without clients or employees we would have no way work to do any work. We must realize that what we do is for the client, and all decisions should be based on this simple truth.

So how do I change the world with this philosophy? Well, I also happen to be an engineering major, which leaves me with a very distinct way of looking at things. I like see a problem, try study it, and solve it in a practical fashion. Abstractions are good, but when it comes do to it your actions are what make a difference. One of the main things we need to do is interact with a community. I America I think we sometimes lose sense of the place we fit into society. With the advancement in technology we can live more and more isolated lives. We can in effect tune out the world, and live in our own little bubble. So what do we do? A start for me would be to be actively involved in other people’s lives. It is really easy for me to get wrapped up in school work and forget about all the things that are going on around me. Spending hours on my homework assignments takes me away from the world I live in, and gives me a very self-centered mindset. One of the first things I would need to do before attempting to better the environment around me would be to talk to the people who inhabit this space with me. I would have to ask them what they want and need out of this space. Only than can we get down and dirty in designing a better environment. The environment we create as a team would then be something beautiful and 100% functional.

To sum up, the way that I would want to have an impact on the environment would to become a servant to it. It is in this way that you can discover and accomplish something that is in the best interests of a group of people. To put yourself first, and design the building that you want to see would be a mistake. To creatively design something that the community wants you to would be a true act of architecture.

construcktrail1.jpgNapa.jpg

Pictures:
http://kara.allthingsd.com/files/2007/10/thinking_man2.jpg
http://www.toycon.com/bruder/bruder.html
http://www.cityfarmer.org/Napa.html