bow view austin.jpg

My name is Abby. I'm not exactly from here, but I love the closness and busyness of the city, this one in particular.

I play clarinet in the University of Minnesota Marching Band, which is one of my favorite part about the U. I also cox for the men's crew team, which is my other favorite thing. You really can;t get much better than this.

I can't sit still for very long (if ever) and I stand and walk with turned out feet. This is mostly the cause and effect, respectfully, of 17 years of ballet training. I love to dance, and I will everywhere: in a studio, in my room, at the grocery store, anywhere. I love music, but my musical tastes pretty much change daily. My favorite movie is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I love reading, and don't mind writing.

I am a sociology major and am aiming for a career in pediatric occupational therapy, which I have wanted to do since I was really little. I like tangible, concrete concepts, bright colors and alliterations.

Mr. Stickman and the Map (final project)

MN Original

The first episode of MN Original featured Alec Soth, Heather Doyle, the Twilight Hours, two students from MacPhail Center for the Arts, and Joe Paquet, as well as additional music by local musicians. I had never heard of any of these people before, so it was really interesting see the artistic talents Minnesota has to offer. I definitely enjoyed Alec Soth's pictures. There's something about them that really catches my eye, but I don't know what to call it. Kind of like a superficial simplicity covering a very complex picture. At first glance, his pictures are pretty simple: an ice house, a woman on a sofa, a man standing. But when you stop and really look at it, you can see deeper into the story behind the picture.

Film Analysis: The Hurt Locker

The film I chose for this analysis was The Hurt Locker.

The first 10 seconds of the film are very unsteady and low to the ground. This gives the viewer the point of view of the small remote operated vehicle later shown in the scene. The camera zooms out to show the vehicle moving past frantic people. The movements and zoom of the camera are quick and sharp, which adds to the panicked, chaotic mood of the scene. Several times, the camera zooms and focuses briefly on a specific object. A few times throughout the scene on the small vehicle, once on the machine gun on top of a tank. The zoom draws the viewer's focus to emphasize what is being shown. The camera jumps from shot to shot, adding to the rising tension being shown on screen. The angle of the camera shots are almost always shot upwards from the ground, or from quite high up, as if sitting on a roof. These angles make me feel as though I'm trying to stay out of sight, or hiding. The scene then switches from the panicked street to several solders watching through the camera on the remote operated vehicle. The first angle gives the impression of looking over the controller's shoulder. The camera zooms close to the controllers' faces to show the tension of the situation. The camera then shifts between shots of the solder's eyes, hands, and the point of view of the vehicle camera. The zooms show the tension of the situation and cause the viewer to focus on what the filmmakers see as the most important parts.

3pics, 4/20

goose use.jpg
Goose getting nailed with an oar, Austin, TX.

street view.jpg
Downtown Austin.

tree.jpg

Match (video project)

3pics, 4/13

fade row.jpg
U of M men's crew, Madison Duel

stairs.jpg
Austin, TX

monster.jpg

3pics, 4/6

maddy skyline.jpg
Minneapolis skyline.

mopac far.jpg
Mopac Bridge, TX

vert apartments.jpg
Austin, TX

3pics, 3/30

austin creek.jpeg
Creek running through downtown Austin

blue wall.jpg
Austin, TX

coots.jpg
Lady Bird Lake, Austin, TX

3pics, 3/23

swans.jpg
viciously aggressive swans, Lady Bird Lake, Austin, TX

turtle stack 1.jpg
sunning turtles, Lady Bird Lake, Austin, TX

vanessa.jpeg
tourist-ing, Austin, TX