« Copyright Presentation and Q&A session on 2/16 | Main

Tip: Getting references from PubMed into RefWorks

Hi all,

Bonnie Westra asked me about the process of getting citations from PubMed into RefWorks, and she suggested I share my response since others of you might have the same question.

PubMed doesn't have a direct export to RefWorks feature, so getting things into your RefWorks account takes a few steps. Here is a PDF with detailed instructions: http://www.lib.umn.edu/refworks/import/PubMed.pdf

I use the instructions in the PDF when I have a lot of articles to transfer from PubMed to RefWorks, but here's a little shortcut I like to take if I'm just doing a few references at a time:
1. Keep PubMed open, and open your RefWorks account in another window.
2. In your RefWorks account, go to the Search menu (left side, next to the References menu).
3. Choose "online catalog or database" from that menu.
4. Choose PubMed from the drop down list (it should be the very first option, but if not, check the long alphabetical list).
5. Then, you can just paste the PubMed ID numbers (PMID) for the articles you want. You can put in as many as you want, as long as you use a carriage return between them.
6. Once you have the PMIDs there for all the articles you want, click search.
7. You'll get a new tab/window with the articles, then use the Import options in the gray bar to actually bring them into your account.

Since PubMed is a freely available resource, it doesn' t have the easy "direct export" feature of our licensed databases, but both the methods I mention above work. It's a bit cumbersome, but not too bad once you've done it a few times - and definitely easier than retyping all the information!

I hope this is helpful. As usual, let me know if you have any questions, or if there is anything I can do. Thanks!

Liz