Tip: Getting references from PubMed into RefWorks

Hi all,

Bonnie Westra asked me about the process of getting citations from PubMed into RefWorks, and she suggested I share my response since others of you might have the same question.

PubMed doesn't have a direct export to RefWorks feature, so getting things into your RefWorks account takes a few steps. Here is a PDF with detailed instructions: http://www.lib.umn.edu/refworks/import/PubMed.pdf

I use the instructions in the PDF when I have a lot of articles to transfer from PubMed to RefWorks, but here's a little shortcut I like to take if I'm just doing a few references at a time:
1. Keep PubMed open, and open your RefWorks account in another window.
2. In your RefWorks account, go to the Search menu (left side, next to the References menu).
3. Choose "online catalog or database" from that menu.
4. Choose PubMed from the drop down list (it should be the very first option, but if not, check the long alphabetical list).
5. Then, you can just paste the PubMed ID numbers (PMID) for the articles you want. You can put in as many as you want, as long as you use a carriage return between them.
6. Once you have the PMIDs there for all the articles you want, click search.
7. You'll get a new tab/window with the articles, then use the Import options in the gray bar to actually bring them into your account.

Since PubMed is a freely available resource, it doesn' t have the easy "direct export" feature of our licensed databases, but both the methods I mention above work. It's a bit cumbersome, but not too bad once you've done it a few times - and definitely easier than retyping all the information!

I hope this is helpful. As usual, let me know if you have any questions, or if there is anything I can do. Thanks!

Liz

Saving Searches vs. Session Recovery in Ovid

If you use the Ovid databases (MEDLINE, CINAHL, PsycINFO, etc.) regularly, you're probably familiar with the option to recover your last search when you log in. This is a great feature, and a nice safety net for those times when your session times out, or you accidentally close your browser window.

However, relying on session recovery is not the best way to save a crucial search, and this feature may not be a part of future Ovid versions. It's easy to save a search manually, and you should purposely save searches that you want to be sure you can access again.

You can permanently save your search by using the "Save Search/Alert" icon, found under your search history on the main Ovid search screen. This will reliably save your search strategy, and you can then access it at any time through the "Saved Searches/Alerts" icon in the blue bar in the upper right corner of the page.

Get in the habit of purposely saving searches, so that you don't accidentally lose something you're relying on. If you have questions or need help, contact Liz (612-624-6492 or evfine@umn.edu) or the Reference Desk (612-626-3260 or medref@umn.edu).

Extending Graduate Student Access to Online Library Resources

Library resources are available to be used remotely only for currently-registered students, faculty, and staff. Occasionally, students may be finishing a master's project but not be enrolled in a credit-bearing course. Or, they may be taking a "break" from school for a personal reason. When this happens, the student will be unable to remotely access library resources. This frequently happens and can be a frustrating experience for the student who is legitimately working towards finishing their project/thesis/dissertation.

There is a work-around for this problem. Graduate students who register through the Graduate School (this includes the SoN) and who are working on a thesis or dissertation but are not currently enrolled in courses, may still be eligible to receive full library privileges.

The student may obtain borrowing privileges by registering for the zero-credit, zero-fee, non-graded registration option (GRAD 999) offered through the Graduate School. Once registered, a graduate student’s University accounts will be reactivated.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!