Extension IT has worked with Extension Regional Directors and campus administrative leadership to create a detailed Google migration schedule for Extension based on office location. All Extension faculty and staff will be expected to make the move to U of M Google Apps between October 25 and November 12, with all of Extension's migration to Google Apps completed by November 19. Please take a moment to review this schedule to determine when you will be requested to transition your email and calendar systems to Google Apps.
To make the transition as smooth as possible, you will need to review and prepare your current email environment. If you have not already, take time as soon as possible to clean up your current email system: delete large emails (over 25 MB) and executable files such as .zip, .tar and others that contain an .exe attachment; ensure that you have no more than 6 GB of total emails in your mail account; and rename folder names that are longer than 39 characters.
Although it will take time and effort to make the transition to Google Apps, there are many benefits in doing so. Following are just a few of the advantages Google Apps provide:
- Improved speed and stability of email and calendaring
- Same "umn.edu" e-mail address--no need to change
- Increased mail storage (1GB to 7GB)
- Better email and calendar support for more mobile devices including 'push' support
- Google Chat instant messaging client with video support
- Ability to share documents easily with other users at the University
- Automatic threading of email messages to keep conversations together
We will be providing detailed migration instructions as your scheduled migration date draws nearer. For questions or comments related to the Extension migration to Google Apps, please contact the Extension IT helpline at 612-624-6700.
IT Operations Manager