As of this week, we have had almost 2,000 volunteers complete the required SOM training. This is good progress, but we will need to get even more aggressive in our approach if we are going to get all 7,000 volunteers in compliance by the July 1 deadline.
On our end, the following things have been done to help you:
- An email will go out later today to all volunteers who have not yet completed the training as of about May 28, according to the data in 4HOnline. It will remind them that they will not be allowed to continue to volunteer after July 1 until they complete the training.
- An article will appear in the June 1 4-H Clover Update reminding volunteers how to access the training and underscoring its importance.
- A postcard and draft letter have been created for you to send to volunteers who may not be active users of email. Please take the time to note who those individuals are and follow up via phone and through email.
- Later today or early next week there will be an interactive reporting tool you can use to find volunteers who have NOT completed the training.
We also want to remind you to visit the FAQ document created on Google Drive. In it, we answer such questions as:
- How should staff who are volunteers report their training if it was done in ULearn?
- Can the training be viewed on a handheld device or tablet?
- What advice do you have for meeting the ratios?
If you have additional questions you'd like to see added, please email them to me at email@example.com
Please continue to offer the Safety of Minors training at all events and promote it in your communications with volunteers!
More detailed information and access to resources mentioned above can be found on the YD Intranet page for Safety of Minors training.
State program director, volunteer systems