Dear YD colleagues,
The Youth Development Leadership Team met on July 29. The following is a summary of the meeting.
- Evaluation data tool: Pam Larson Nippolt informed the team about a new Minnesota 4-H enrollment data tool that is now available. Member and volunteer data from 4-H Plus and 4HOnline enrollment are available at the county and state level in the new tool designed by Robert Neff from Cornell University. The current up to date enrollment database can be used to track youth and volunteer enrollment trends according to a variety of criteria. The tool can be found on the YD Intranet here.
- Diversity & inclusion update: Josey Landrieu, Joshua Kukowski and Kathryn Sharpe presented a report on behalf of the diversity and inclusion shared learning cohort. They talked about key learning over the past year and the plan for a Sept. 23 event to share five videos the cohort produced on building partnerships across cultures, culturally responsive youth-adult partnerships, serving youth with disabilities, religious inclusion, and working with immigrant youth. They also provided recommendations for the future of the diversity & inclusion cohort, which included regional and statewide YD diversity cohorts, and culturally responsive youth work matters training that could serve as a resource for YD staff in support of regional work plans related to the YD strategic target on diversity.
- Central region update: Josey Landrieu presented an update on behalf of the central regional team. She shared the team's 2014 action plan and guiding framework, which included four commitments that focused the team's work: A common agenda, inclusive community building, intentional/responsive to community needs, and data informed and data driven. Josey walked through each commitment, the related goals for the year, such as developing concrete goals and strategies for each county related to the YD diversity target, and a list of some of the key partnerships that exist in the central region.
- YPQA benchmarks: Deborah Moore, Sam Grant and Jan Derdowski presented recommendations from the statewide quality team on setting annual benchmarks for using the YPQA in 4-H clubs to improve quality. The purpose of the recommendations was to set benchmarks for regular use of YPQA for regional teams, support use of new tool and scores reporter, create monitoring processes to encourage planning and accountability, and review scores reporter data and share common themes which will impact future training and coaching.
- U of M Foundation campaign: Cara Miller presented information about the University of Minnesota Foundation's upcoming capital campaign, and the role and related plans of the Minnesota 4-H Foundation. The group discussed priority funding areas for the campaign, campaign messaging, a timeline, and next steps for planning.
- Administrative updates: The team briefly talked about plans for Dorothy's visits with regional teams this fall, YD time at the Extension Fall Conference, and content and staffing of Minnesota 4-H's booths at the National 4-H conference in November.